The power and pitfalls of omics part 2: epigenomics, transcriptomics and ME/CFS
Simon McGrath concludes his blog about the remarkable Prof George Davey Smith's smart ideas for understanding diseases, which may soon be applied to ME/CFS.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

ME & polio - Dr. Byron Hyde (Is ME Caused By A Virus?)

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by PhoenixDown, Dec 8, 2016.

1. PhoenixDown

PhoenixDown Senior Member

UK
    I just came across this video

Dr. Byron Hyde seems pretty convinced that ME is caused by an enterovirus, what do you guys think of his research?

slysaint likes this.
  2. justy

justy Donate Advocate Demonstrate

U.K
    I think if you want a diagnosis of M.E that is not misdiagnosis then he is the go to man - he investigates VERY thoroughly to rule out other conditions. I don't know if he is doing much research now and he certainly doesn't offer any treatments for PWME.

3. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member

I'm open to the idea that entero virus can be a factor as a trigger to the development of symptoms. This seemed to be the case for my onset. Mine was noravirus. However from what I have picked up it seems that there are more than one type of trigger and he seemed to want to find one answer. I'm more interested in what makes people susceptible in the first place and once you've got it how do you treat to make a full recovery. In my case I was definitely depleted of vitamin b6 folate and b12 before I got ill. Like for 10-15 years before. So my methylation was disfunctional/vulnerable before I got my trigger. I think there is more to it, and studying triggers is a good thing although it seems over simplistic to blame everything on a type of virus. Just my take on it....seems like a nice man though.

merylg and frederic83 like this.
  4. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member

uk
    He says ME is acute onset with thyroid involvement

5. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    Im open to it. What I do know if ME certainly can cause me symptoms one sees in viruses and complications some viruses can have.

As Justy said Dr. Byron Hyde is very though in ruling out other things. I think its something like up to 60% of his patients he finds have been misdiagnosed and he is able to rediagnose people.

6. Chrisb

Chrisb Senior Member

The problem with the title of the video is that it does not address the basic question. It is possible to define "ME" and "cause" in such a way as to say that ME is caused by a virus. I would be quite happy with such a definition. But this takes us back to 1988 and the reality that others are not.

arewenearlythereyet likes this.
  7. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member

And this is why I think it's over simplistic. I'm not dismissing it, just saying it is only a small part of the cause and effect. I had "sudden onset" triggered by an entero virus, however looking at the cause of my vulnerability in the first place this was based on me already having a low and ever declining b12. The cause of the low b12 was not viral it was drug induced (carbamazepine). We know glandular fever is an issue for a lot of people and this is also not an entero infection. We also know that stress can trigger sudden onset. I think we are barking up the wrong tree to say that there is one answer and that it is viral. Surely if this was a viral infection problem we would have solved this by now? The fact that we haven't, suggests it's more complicated. This doesn't decry any of the good work he is doing and I am not familiar with his work only the video in this thread.

frederic83 likes this.
  8. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
    This is so interesting!!!! We need to figure what the enteroviruses were and family. So maybe we can search by DNA fragments and see if we have it present.

See more popular forum discussions.