• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ME patients to pay tribute to doctor who championed their cause

Ember

http://www.essexcountystandard.co.u..._to_doctor_who_championed_their_cause/?ref=nt

2:03 pm Wednesday 1st August 2012 in News

By Clare Jeffs
PEOPLE living with myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME) will pay tribute later this year to the woman who, for decades, championed their cause.

Dr Elizabeth Dowsett, a leading ME doctor and researcher for more than 60 years, died in Cambridge in June, aged 91....

She was a consultant microbiologist and physician who cut her teeth in the world of ME long before the illness became known as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome in the 1980's.

She saw more than 3,000 ME patients in her career, including 400 children, collaborated with research pioneers and found time to set up special clinics at three Essex hospitals

With Jane Colby – now executive director of the Ingatestone-based Young ME Sufferers’ Trust – she co-authored a major five-year survey of 366,000 schoolchildren demonstrating that the illness was the UK's commonest cause of long-term absence from school....

Abha

Abha
Sorry to hear about the death of Dr Dowsett.Back in the early 1980's before the Internet and talk about ME or Chronic fatigue syndrome she wrote me a nice caring letter concerning my illness.