A New Decade of ME Research: The 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference 2016
Mark Berry presents the first in a series of articles on the 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

ME on BBC radio 4 Woman's Hour now

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Jenny, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Jenny

Jenny Senior Member

London
  2. Jenny

Jenny Senior Member

London
  3. Esther12

Esther12

Oops... I started another thread.

My thoughts:

To be fair... not too bad.

They didn't hype Pace up too much. Made it clear CBT/GET really weren't that good treatments, returning 30% of patients 'into the normal range of fatigue' compared to 14% without treatmentand ... those figures are likely to be misleading to most of the public, but nowhere near as bad as the way Chalder and White was doing it.

Still not good, but no outright lies. (I can't believe how low my standards are).

Also, the general tone of the piece was sympathetic.

4. Esther12

Esther12

Also... why have both Esther Crawley and someone from AYME on? Maybe they wanted a cosy chat, rather than an exploration of any disagreements?

5. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Interesting Jenny thanks (brought my worst times back from 11 years ago). Felt Jenni Murray very genuine - but Esther Crawley too "toeing the party line" to be helpful. Need for research far too long overdue for ME/CFS just glares out. There can be no real "treatment" until the underlying cause is found.

6. Jenny

Jenny Senior Member

London
  7. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Thanks Jenny - will comment too. I was "set" on in A & E (two street collapses) by 3 junior Docs - "we think it's all in your mind" and produced a psychiatrist. Very ill and very nasty experience.

8. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Here's another link that will take you directly to the section of the program about ME...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00fpqv5

This thread is in the XMRV section... I think it should be moved to the General ME/CFS News section, so that everyone can find it easily.

9. Jenny

Jenny Senior Member

London
  10. Kate_UK

Kate_UK Senior Member

11. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Bit of "professional" agitating going on there - switched off. Sad to see the genuine attracts "troublemakers" set on mischief alone. This appears to be a Messageboard not constructive comments on the Jenni Murray programme requested. Nothing better to do. (anything to do with the chap who was bored over a cup of coffee and nearly ended Dr Myhill's career).

12. Kate_UK

Kate_UK Senior Member

Yes, I think it is probably better to send the comments as they requested to Woman's Hour.

13. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Done mine too Kate through the "Comments". We are "coming to light" now.

See more popular forum discussions.