• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ME on BBC radio 4 Woman's Hour now

Esther12

Oops... I started another thread.

My thoughts:

To be fair... not too bad.

They didn't hype Pace up too much. Made it clear CBT/GET really weren't that good treatments, returning 30% of patients 'into the normal range of fatigue' compared to 14% without treatmentand ... those figures are likely to be misleading to most of the public, but nowhere near as bad as the way Chalder and White was doing it.

Still not good, but no outright lies. (I can't believe how low my standards are).

Also, the general tone of the piece was sympathetic.

Esther12

Also... why have both Esther Crawley and someone from AYME on? Maybe they wanted a cosy chat, rather than an exploration of any disagreements?

Enid

Interesting Jenny thanks (brought my worst times back from 11 years ago). Felt Jenni Murray very genuine - but Esther Crawley too "toeing the party line" to be helpful. Need for research far too long overdue for ME/CFS just glares out. There can be no real "treatment" until the underlying cause is found.

Enid

Thanks Jenny - will comment too. I was "set" on in A & E (two street collapses) by 3 junior Docs - "we think it's all in your mind" and produced a psychiatrist. Very ill and very nasty experience.

Enid

Bit of "professional" agitating going on there - switched off. Sad to see the genuine attracts "troublemakers" set on mischief alone. This appears to be a Messageboard not constructive comments on the Jenni Murray programme requested. Nothing better to do. (anything to do with the chap who was bored over a cup of coffee and nearly ended Dr Myhill's career).

Kate_UK

Bit of "professional" agitating going on there - switched off. Sad to see the genuine attracts "troublemakers" set on mischief alone. This appears to be a Messageboard not constructive comments on the Jenni Murray programme requested. Nothing better to do I guess.

Yes, I think it is probably better to send the comments as they requested to Woman's Hour.

Enid

Done mine too Kate through the "Comments". We are "coming to light" now.