Professor & patients' paper on the solvable biological challenge of ME/CFS: reader-friendly version
Simon McGrath provides a patient-friendly version of a peer-reviewed paper which highlights some of the most promising biomedical research on ME/CFS ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

"ME isn’t just ‘exercise phobia’: it’s a physical illness" Spectator (Tanya Marlow)

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Kyla, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Kyla

Kyla ᴀɴɴɪᴇ ɢꜱᴀᴍᴩᴇʟ

Canada
    http://blogs.new.spectator.co.uk/2015/11/rod-liddle-knows-nothing-about-me/

moosie, CantThink, AndyPandy and 25 others like this.
  2. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

Liverpool UK
    Fantastic article. And she even criticises Rod Liddle's piece. Careful Tanya you don't want to be labelled an
    ME terrorist.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
    moosie, CantThink, MeSci and 9 others like this.
  3. Kyla

Kyla ᴀɴɴɪᴇ ɢꜱᴀᴍᴩᴇʟ

Canada
    Please click through and read the rest.

Let's show them that good articles get as much (or more) traffic as sensational garbage articles :)

moosie, AndyPandy, Valentijn and 10 others like this.
  4. Hutan

Hutan Senior Member

New Zealand
    Terrific article. I liked how the PACE trial was succinctly slammed, and the use of links.

There are some good comments following the article and the bad ones are dealt with pretty well.

moosie, CantThink, Valentijn and 5 others like this.
  5. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    moosie and ghosalb like this.
  6. Sea

Sea Senior Member

NSW Australia
    What does Isabel Hardman have to do with this article Bob? Where are you finding the information that she is responsible for publishing this piece?

ghosalb likes this.
  7. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    She is assistant editor of the Spectator and editor of the Coffee House section of the magazine in which this blog was published. So I'm assuming she made the decision to publish or played a central role in its publication. But even if she didn't, she still tweeted it, which is helpful.

moosie, CantThink, Valentijn and 11 others like this.
  8. worldbackwards

worldbackwards A unique snowflake

Earth
    Great stuff. I was wondering before if it was worth debating anything with a scumbag like Liddle, but this really wipes the floor with him.

moosie, CantThink, Valentijn and 2 others like this.
  9. SOC

SOC

Great article and amazing comments! Kudos to the commentors who calmly and intelligently dealt with the trolls. It's hard to see us as the hostile militants here. :thumbsup:

10. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    When I spoke to Isabel Harman after her own article was published, she came across as very sympathetic and wanting to help the patient community, so although I'm quite surprised that she published this article, the decision to publish does fit with the discussion that I had with her. She said that she genuinely wanted to help. I think she got the balance of her own article wrong probably because she was buried under a mountain of spin, misinformation and manipulation.

moosie, CantThink, Valentijn and 8 others like this.
  11. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    It's possible to flag comments for moderation - you hover your mouse over the comment and a tiny flat appears top right.

A troll comment that I flagged earlier has been removed and I've flagged more.

moosie, AndyPandy, Valentijn and 8 others like this.
  12. Aurator

Aurator Senior Member

The chief culprit appears to be a Mr B J Mann of Nottingham, who is believed to be a retired solicitor, and is a prolific letter writer to his local newspaper, who have apparently stopped publishing his correspondence now. This is what others said about him on a cycling forum:
    "BJMann is the chap who trolls the stories about dead cyclists on the [Nottingham] Standard website. The last time was the story of the child on a bike killed in East Ham, bjmann popped up to make a random and insanely inappropriate remark about cyclists on pavements. He's ben around for years, he's banned from Honest John's forum and a few other places for being a ranting nutjob."

SOC, SDSue and worldbackwards like this.

See more popular forum discussions.