• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ME is a "unpleasant" condition

Nielk

Do not fret.
Just drink 3 cups of slippery elm tea and the "unpleasantness" will go away. Poof. Why didn't I think of that?
I could have saved about $200,000 for all different types of treatments and 9 years of lost income - another $560,000.

Boule de feu

I goofed. LOL
I posted twice and I don't know how I did that... It's magic.

I've heard ginger tea could also do the trick... ;-)
Without this unpleasantness, you would be a millionaire.

alex3619

Hi, I sent the following comment that is awaiting moderation:

In the three rankings of disease morbidity that I have read over the years, CFS is ranked number one, number one and number three. In the study in which it was number three the two more disabling illnesses were immediately fatal in most cases including pancreatic cancer.

Tiredness is not a symptom of CFS. By definition its disabling chronic fatigue, worsened by minimal activity that also exacerbates many other symptoms, and is not resolved by rest. This is not tiredness. Up to 10% of patients are totally incapacitated by this and have to be fed through a tube, they cannot move, and a good number have died from it.

The candida theory of CFS was disproved very long ago candida is indeed a common opportunistic infection in CFS and it does need treating. However, this infection and others are taking advantage of deficiencies in the immune system, including severely impaired natural killer cell function.

The new definition for CFS actually does away with the name and goes back to the original: the International Consensus Criteria for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis. ME has previously been shown to be blood transmissable, and more than one in twenty patients develop it immediately after a blood transfusion.

Alex Young, B.Sc. (biochemistry)
aka alex3619

Boule de feu

Very well said, Alex.
Here (again) the confusion is between CFS and chronic fatigue which is perceived as mere tiredeness in the general population. This is why we hear so often: "I probably have CFS, too." If Candida would be the culprit, I believe we would have figured it out by now... Misinformation like this hurts how others see us. It's not good for our cause, for sure.

Nielk

"Unpleasant"?, hm
Well, if "Unpleasant" is along the lines of castrating yourself using a cheese grater and a lot of elbow grease :eek:
, then yeeeeees, I suppose you could say ME is "unpleasant" as well ;)

Silver,

I was waiting for your reply! You didn't dissapoint me.

Sparrow

I find people who convey misleading and belittling information to the public about a serious and debilitating disease "unpleasant."

Enid

Much enjoyed Nielks comment - "but do not fret". Everything solved with a cup tea.

Desdinova

:confused: "Unpleasant" Does that mean that CFS is a 'A little bit of an Inconvenience'? How about a tad annoying? Just a tad mind you nothing on any serious level.:D

Boule de feu

What about:
"aching, acute, aggravating, agonizing, anguishing, annoying, arduous,
besetting, biting, bitter, bothersome, burdensome,
chafing, cramping, cruel, crushing, cutting,
disagreeable, distressful,
excruciating,
gnawing, grievous, grueling,
harrowing, horrendous, hurtful,
inflaming, insufferable, irksome, irritating,
miserable,
odious, offensive, oppressive,
painful, piercing,
severe, smarting, sore, stabbing, stinging,
throbbing, tormenting, torturing, troublesome, trying,
unbearable, uncomfortable,
withering, woeful, wrenching."

????

It would have been more "pleasing" to the eye. :Retro wink::Retro wink::Retro wink: