• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ME-conference in Sweden with English-speaking lecturers Wed Oct 19th, available for streaming

mango

cambridge2_zps8lpddwjl.png

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Unfortunately, I had to deal with something else while Jo Cambridge was presenting. Was there any interesting new upshot from the work (I realise it's a long game!)?

mango

From Julin's talk, a summary of some of the ME/CFS researching being done at Stora Sköndal/Karolinska Institutet

julin%20forskning_zpszhz0hmtx.png

(Sorry, I'm crap at this, but here's my attempt at a translation: )

* Current: Microglia PET study in collaboration with PET-center Karolinska University Hospital
(Stenkrona, Jucaite, Halldin, Forsberg, Evengård, Watanabe, Farde)

10 ME-patients are examined with [11C]MADAM which measures the amount of serotonin transporter (SERT) and [11C]PBR28 which measures the degree of inflammation in the brain

* Currently planning: (start January 2017): Immunology and MRT, in collaboration with Uppsala University and MR Karolinska University Hospital
(Blomberg, Kristoffersen-Wiberg, Li, Granberg, Erlandsson-Nordin)

Immunological abnormalities in blood tests and structural and functional changes (MRT) in relation to the clinical picture

* Currently planning: FDG-PET study in collaboration with Nuclear medicine Karolinska Huddinge
(R Axelsson, I Savitcheva)

Focal metabolic changes in relation to the clinical picture

mango

Another one of Julin's slides:

julin1_zps0xhxvmxn.png

Neuroradiology in ME/CFS

* Clinical use: to exclude other illnesses (MRT)

* Research (focus of this presentation)
- abnormalities on a group level
- understanding the mechanisms of the illness
- identification of future possible diagnostic biomarkers
- assessment of treatment effects
--- the structure of the brain (MRT)
--- the function of the brain (MRT, SPECT, PET)
--- inflammation in the brain (PET)

mango

Jo Cambridge said something about a new paper they are currently writing up, something about resting b-cells using energy differently than other b-cells (naive ones?). I can't remember the details, sorry...

Kalliope

Today's conference is already available here:
https://play.vll.se/category/5/video/214/rme-konferens-19-october-2016-2

6 1/2 hours! :) Looking forward to see it!

EDIT for English speaking audience:

Lucinda Bateman's lecture Summary of the IOM Report, and the relationship to diagnosis and treatment of ME/CFS starts at 42:47

Prof. Anders Rosén Metabolic features of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome at 01.35.05

Geraldine Cambridge's lecture Rituximab for ME/CFS: Revealing immunological cues to underlying disease mechanisms starts at 02.53

Panel discussion (in English) at 05.15

Last edited:

mango

If you're interested in Jo Cambridge's personal opinions about Rituximab and people's attitude towards her research etc, make sure to keep listening when they take a break in the afternoon, after Julin's second presentation, before Ewa W-W's presentation.

(If they haven't edited that part out. I don't think she was aware that the mic was still on..!)