August 8th, 2016: Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis
Jody Smith joins with other ME voices in honor of Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

ME/CFS Test? Can you raise your legs when lying down?

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by Tilney, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Tilney

Tilney

This might seem silly question but I went for a medical recently and this was one of the things I was asked to do.

While lying on the doctor’s couch I was asked to point my toes – think of being a ballerina standing on her tip toes – then raise both legs together in the air without bending at the knees.

When I couldn’t do that the doctor said try again but pointing my toes upward, I couldn’t do that either.

I’ve tried asking non ME/CFS people to try it and they can do it.

So is not being able to raise your legs something to do with having ME/CFS?

Or is it a sign of something different?

I’ve tried looking online but the only thing I can find is it can be used as a test for meningitis.

For your info. I live in the UK & have had a diagnosis of ME/CFS for approx... 15 years.

Although this sometimes feels like a diagnosis of attention seeking raging hypochondriac who needs to get a life and stop wasting the big clever doctor’s valuable time.

Sidney and belize44 like this.
  2. belize44

belize44 Senior Member

Pennsylvania
    I just tried it, and can barely raise them an inch.

Tilney likes this.
  3. Tilney

Tilney

Thank you for trying
    I can not find any info. on the internet about it being used as a ME/CFS test but as I said in the post all the other people I have asked to try it can do it but they don't have ME/CFS

4. dancer

dancer Senior Member

Midwest, USA
    I'm not sure what that would test, except the strength of your hip flexor muscles and a bit of the core muscles.
    I've had ME/CFS for over eight years...mostly homebound and with fierce PEM after small activities, and I can do it.

Dechi, Hutan, slysaint and 5 others like this.
  5. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member

Vancouver, British Columbia
    I can raise both of my legs with no problems.

svetoslav80 and Tilney like this.
  6. Tilney

Tilney

Thank you both for letting me know you can do it.

7. erin

erin Senior Member

I could hardly do it and i managed just few centimeters, I'm surprised. Why is it so difficult? I've been so tired recently anyhow.

Tilney likes this.
  8. Tilney

Tilney

I have no idea why I/we can not do it.
    The first time I realised I couldn't do it was when the doctor asked me to do it.
    I can raise my legs if I bend them at my knees but not keeping them straight.
    Perhaps someone out there might know the answer ?

9. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    I can raise my legs without bending my knees no problem. But can barely raise them if I point my big toe pointing forward as you say. No idea why.

Tilney likes this.
  10. jodie100

jodie100

I can't do it with both legs at the same time although I can lift each leg individually. I never noticed until I tried just it now but I don't know what it means either.

Tilney likes this.
  11. anciendaze

anciendaze Senior Member

You could put ditto marks around Snow Leopard's post for me. Also easier to lift a single leg.

The only thing this brings to mind is Trendelenburg's sign in Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome. People with Trendelenburg gait are not able to hold the pelvis level while walking. This puts three times the load on the lower hip joint and is likely to cause joint failure. If you have several close relatives who have needed hip replacements, you could have some of the genes seen in EDS, even if you don't have the full syndrome.

ahmo and Tilney like this.
  12. alicec

alicec Senior Member

Australia
    I can do it easily, both legs together, feet in either position.

Tilney likes this.
  13. Tilney

Tilney

Thank you your reply could be very helpful
    Will look it up in the morning as my maternal grandmother had hip replacements.
    The last time I had a bone density scan my spine measurement was as previous but the hip measurement had decreased.

14. Sushi

Sushi Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    From my experience with pilates, I'd guess that this is a core-strength, abs issue. I do pilates with machines (done lying down) and I am able to do this exercise, though I doubt if I could without pilates (or other) core training.
    I also have EDS.
    My guess it is related, in that most of us are not able to exercise to gain core strength, but that is it not directly related to ME/CFS.

Dechi, Dichotohmy and Tilney like this.
  15. AndyPR

AndyPR Tired Sam ate all the cookies!

Just tried it and had no problems with either, so I'm guessing it's a test for something else other than ME.

Tilney likes this.
  16. worldbackwards

worldbackwards A unique snowflake

Earth
    There was a time when couldn't. I'm a bit better now and I suspect I probably can. It's more a matter of how ill you are rather than what you have.

Mel9, Tilney and Lindberg like this.
  17. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    Me, too. Totally shocked, as I do a few leg-raising exercises once in awhile. But this, both feet w/ toes pointed in either direction, is almost impossible.

Mel9 and Tilney like this.
  18. Lindberg

Lindberg

My doctor asked me to do a similar thing. After I had raised my leg straight up I was told to hold it there for a while. After I lowered it I was told to do the next one and hold it straight up for a while.

Then he asked me to lift the first leg straight up again but this time he was holding it back/down just a few inches above the bed, using his own strength. I had to use the muscles quite a bit, as you can imagine.

Everything worked out fine and I did the same thing with my other leg. But then he asked me to raise the first leg again and he would try to hold it down once more. And I could not raise it! I had just done it but couldn't do it again.

Then he said: "Just as I thought, you have mitochondrial dysfunction." The beginning of my ME diagnosis.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
    PennyIA, Mel9, Dechi and 4 others like this.
  19. rosie26

rosie26 Senior Member

I've had a go at this twice and was able to do it fairly easily. I feel like I have some reasonably good strength in my tummy muscles actually, at least at the moment. Not sure why that is.

Mel9 and Tilney like this.
  20. Mrs Sowester

Mrs Sowester Senior Member

Toes pointed I can raise them about a foot with extreme difficulty. Toes pointing at the ceiling not at all.

See more popular forum discussions.