• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ME/CFS Test? Can you raise your legs when lying down?

This might seem silly question but I went for a medical recently and this was one of the things I was asked to do.

While lying on the doctor’s couch I was asked to point my toes – think of being a ballerina standing on her tip toes – then raise both legs together in the air without bending at the knees.

When I couldn’t do that the doctor said try again but pointing my toes upward, I couldn’t do that either.

I’ve tried asking non ME/CFS people to try it and they can do it.

So is not being able to raise your legs something to do with having ME/CFS?

Or is it a sign of something different?

I’ve tried looking online but the only thing I can find is it can be used as a test for meningitis.

For your info. I live in the UK & have had a diagnosis of ME/CFS for approx... 15 years.

Although this sometimes feels like a diagnosis of attention seeking raging hypochondriac who needs to get a life and stop wasting the big clever doctor’s valuable time.

Thank you for trying
I can not find any info. on the internet about it being used as a ME/CFS test but as I said in the post all the other people I have asked to try it can do it but they don't have ME/CFS

erin

I could hardly do it and i managed just few centimeters, I'm surprised. Why is it so difficult? I've been so tired recently anyhow.

I have no idea why I/we can not do it.
The first time I realised I couldn't do it was when the doctor asked me to do it.
I can raise my legs if I bend them at my knees but not keeping them straight.
Perhaps someone out there might know the answer ?

I can't do it with both legs at the same time although I can lift each leg individually. I never noticed until I tried just it now but I don't know what it means either.

anciendaze

You could put ditto marks around Snow Leopard's post for me. Also easier to lift a single leg.

The only thing this brings to mind is Trendelenburg's sign in Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome. People with Trendelenburg gait are not able to hold the pelvis level while walking. This puts three times the load on the lower hip joint and is likely to cause joint failure. If you have several close relatives who have needed hip replacements, you could have some of the genes seen in EDS, even if you don't have the full syndrome.

Thank you your reply could be very helpful
Will look it up in the morning as my maternal grandmother had hip replacements.
The last time I had a bone density scan my spine measurement was as previous but the hip measurement had decreased.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I'm not sure what that would test, except the strength of your hip flexor muscles and a bit of the core muscles.
From my experience with pilates, I'd guess that this is a core-strength, abs issue. I do pilates with machines (done lying down) and I am able to do this exercise, though I doubt if I could without pilates (or other) core training.
The only thing this brings to mind is Trendelenburg's sign in Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome.
I also have EDS.
So is not being able to raise your legs something to do with having ME/CFS?
Or is it a sign of something different?
My guess it is related, in that most of us are not able to exercise to gain core strength, but that is it not directly related to ME/CFS.

My doctor asked me to do a similar thing. After I had raised my leg straight up I was told to hold it there for a while. After I lowered it I was told to do the next one and hold it straight up for a while.

Then he asked me to lift the first leg straight up again but this time he was holding it back/down just a few inches above the bed, using his own strength. I had to use the muscles quite a bit, as you can imagine.

Everything worked out fine and I did the same thing with my other leg. But then he asked me to raise the first leg again and he would try to hold it down once more. And I could not raise it! I had just done it but couldn't do it again.

Then he said: "Just as I thought, you have mitochondrial dysfunction." The beginning of my ME diagnosis.

Last edited:

rosie26

I've had a go at this twice and was able to do it fairly easily. I feel like I have some reasonably good strength in my tummy muscles actually, at least at the moment. Not sure why that is.