• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ME/CFS Spontaneous Remmission

IMPORTANT: How Many ME/CFS patients had a Short Term 24-72 hour Remission?

• Most extreme conditions improved able to resume most normal activities after remission

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
I had a brief (one to two days) remission that came about after an acupuncture treatment from an acupuncturist who was filling in for my regular acupuncturist. This happened around the time I'd been sick for about five years. During the remission I felt like I'd never been sick; I felt 100% fine and went to the local pool and swam a mile (about an hour or so).

Then all my old symptoms came back. I think I saw this same acupuncturist again and she was never able to have the same positive impact, not even the very slightest.

Lou

Within my thirty years of ME/CFS I've had three such total remissions, each lasting approximately one day. From time of first getting ill to three or four years later I should have probably been bedbound, extremely ill. From there, have leveled off around a 7 with persistent symptoms of pem, brain fog, food allergies, chemical sensitivity, etc.

Except for the LDN it's almost embarrassing to give what may sound like ludicrous causes for the other two remissions.

First one, approx. 1994: Ice bath. Afterwards, in all respects I felt and was able to act and think just as any normal, healthy adult. Next day, next ice bath, hardly any reaction.

Second one, approx. 2003: Some kind of B complex/mineral powder from Dr. Teitelbaum, a doctor whose other advice and recommendations I don't think very helpful. But this mixture, for one day, made me a new man. Next dose, nothing.

Third one, LDN approx. 2009: Felt like full remission first time, next few times helped some, but lesser degree and then fizzled out completely.

Last edited:

Ecoclimber

I have had short 1 day - 2 week remissions during the last 7 years 9and one long for 8 years before that) but it was never (apart from once) directly related to a drug or supplement - just spontaneous. The one that was in response to a drug did not come on suddenly but after a few weeks of taking the drug...I don't think this fits your idea does it?

I know it has been awhile, could it have been environmental, change of location, temperature, humidity, seasons, an event, etc.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
I know it has been awhile, could it have been environmental, change of location, temperature, humidity, seasons, an event, etc.

The long 8 year remission - I have no idea why, but I do know why I relapsed again - Measles followed by pneumonia followed by pleurisy followed by a minor surgery.

The short ones are normally only in the summer.

The one after a drug was from a month of Armour Thyroid, I then crashed badly from this drug a month or so later.

Ecoclimber

Thanks everyone who participated. I will not pursue any further investigation. The poll is Closed

Lou

@Ecoclimber I think others here, like me, wonder deeply how such spontaneous remissions occurred and if someone smart enough had even an inkling to its cause, the incredible mechanism involved in getting our lives back, in essence, overnight, then it would be most welcome if that person shared his thoughts on the matter.

We took the time to respond to your request. You may very well have good reasons not to reveal your interest in ME/cfs cases such as ours, but it's difficult to imagine one.