The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

ME/CFS RESEARCH TREND

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by John Mac, Mar 28, 2017.

1. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

Liverpool UK
    Dolphin, Gemini, Demepivo and 2 others like this.
  2. AndyPR

AndyPR Senior Member

Interesting until slide 10, when I started to reach for my tin foil hat ;)

MEMum, John Mac and A.B. like this.
  3. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

It's kind of hard to avoid thinking that something stinks in the way the illness has been handled. The author is just guessing (in my opinion, poorly). There is a lot more evidence for involvement of the health insurance industry, although actually proving that there is a deliberate effort to deny the biological nature of the illness is very difficult.

AndyPR likes this.
  4. trishrhymes

trishrhymes Moved to s4me.info

Interesting the number of grants to the 2 types of study, but I'd be more interested in the amount of money granted. Psych studies in the UK get millions, biomed ones get a few thousand.

Jan, Snowdrop, AndyPR and 1 other person like this.
  5. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Gone to www.s4me.info
    I wonder if some sort of analysis like this could be eaisly done on networks of citations too? This whole misadventure could be a useful case-study for those who want to learn about Bad Science.

trishrhymes likes this.
  6. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    There is a concept of citation circles, researchers endlessly citing their colleagues, who cite them. I think we also have to consider review circles, reviewers endlessly approving their colleagues' research, and vice versa.

Diwi9, trishrhymes and Esther12 like this.
  7. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    On military conspiracy, the military do lots of research on things that are not about weapons and warfare, including medicine. They train and deploy large numbers of soldiers and support staff, sometimes at a training cost of hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars each ... and then they get sick with something incurable and that investment is lost. A huge amount of money would have been essentially lost because of ME or CFS alone. Why wouldn't the military be interested?

Now questions about why psychobabble has any credence with the military are not a huge mystery either. Soldiers often get PTSD and depression.

trishrhymes and Murph like this.
  8. Murph

Murph :)

Definitely interesting to hear that the hypothalamus has military applications.

Little known fact: you can't actually even qualify for military service without one! And if you lose yours while on active duty, you're immediately flown home. Something is going on there...

A.B. likes this.
  9. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

I'm pretty sure this isn't too difficult.

10. user9876

user9876 Senior Member

moderated with many others
    There are network graph analysis techniques used to look at social networks that could be applied. I think they are quite computationally expensive and tend to be done using computers with large memories but that is where there are millions of connections. With academic papers there are much fewer.

Citations of course don't mean recommendations as papers that are critical will also cite.

See more popular forum discussions.