• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ME/CFS Olympic category suggestions

flex

On a lighter hearted note and to bring some humor to proceedings I suggested recently in the chat room that we have some event categories in the olympics for ME/CFS sufferers.

These were just a few suggestions:

Fastest from bathroom to bedroom.

Speed complaint blogging.

Worst food digester.

Most Tested "normal" person.

ANY ONE GOT ANY MORE SUGGESTIONS?

FernRhizome

Wow:
I think I'll get a lot of gold medals for my country! Flex this is very funny!!! I can't even watch the olympics because watching anything that uses adrenaline makes me feel all weak! It's too overstimulating for my screwed up autonomic nervous system! ~Fern

G

Gerwyn

On a lighter hearted note and to bring some humor to proceedings it was suggested recently in the chat room that we have some event categories in the olympics for ME/CFS sufferers.

These were just a few suggestions:

Fastest from bathroom to bedroom.

Speed complaint blogging.

Worst food digester.

Most Tested "normal" person.

ANY ONE GOT ANY MORE SUGGESTIONS?

best fitter have,nt the foggyest!

ukxmrv

We could be use as "ballast" for some sort of race (i.e. like a wheelbarrow race with us in the wheelbarrow). Also as stationary jumps for a cross country type race. I'd win anything that involves sleeping for long periods of time.

Quilp

Thirty yard sprint :-

I was chased by a rottweiler a few weeks ago. I instinctively ran which is quite understandable given that a sixteen stone mass of teeth and muscle is heading in your direction. Unfortunately although the mind was more than willing the body was more than unready. I covered thirty yards in a very long time. I must be the slowest coward in the north of England.

MEKoan

:D:tear::D:tear::D:tear:

So funny!

My sport, in which I would not place:

Bathing Endurance and freestyle hair washing

flex

Most understood typos by another ME/CFS sufferer.

This would be a duo competition where one CFS types badly and the other one has to guess what they meant to type. This is becoming quite an art in the chat room.

:D:D

Lily

*Believe*
I can't go to the grocery store anymore, but before I absolutely couldn't do it anymore I'm sure I could have won a gold medal for speed shopping. It was all about the organization and memorization of the store.

Making the list according the the store layout, shopping only for absolutely necessary items. No looking for items and moving the cart at the same time, because that would make me dizzy and quickly sick.

Devising ways to deal with standing in line at the cash register without fainting.

I'm sure many people wondered about the weird exercises I seemed to be doing, squatting, marching in place, bending over resting my head on my arms on the cart handle - all while perspring profusely and looking white as a ghost....I'm sure it was a sight. More than once I was asked whether I was alright.

Then throw the groceries in the car and adjust the seat to the most horzontal postition to rest up before attempting to drive home. AAhhhhh.....What a feat!!:victory:

Quilp

I'm sure many people wondered about the weird exercises I seemed to be doing, squatting, marching in place, bending over resting my head on my arms on the cart handle - all while perspring profusely and looking white as a ghost....I'm sure it was a sight. More than once I was asked whether I was alright

lol@Lily....... we call these people shoplifters in the north of England.....

G

Gerwyn

cross country crawling across a room daftest place to leave car keys fridge washing machine etc

flex

on the subject of :

most tested "normal person",

I have been told by my docs that I am "normal" so many times I am actually boring myself!!

Carrigon

on the subject of :

most tested "normal person",

I have been told by my docs that I am "normal" so many times I am actually boring myself!!

I always say I could go to the doc or ER bleeding out my eyes and they would still say, "within normal range".

Tammie

We could be use as "ballast" for some sort of race (i.e. like a wheelbarrow race with us in the wheelbarrow). Also as stationary jumps for a cross country type race. I'd win anything that involves sleeping for long periods of time.

I think I could give you a run for your money on that sleep thing ; ) depending on the timing anyway- usually I sleep very poorly, but then it's like my body finally gives in and I can literaly sleep for 36 hrs straight

Adam

I always say I could go to the doc or ER bleeding out my eyes and they would still say, "within normal range".
:D

I am Olympic hopeful in most sentences started but lost thread of somewhere...somewhere, where...I forgot, who, what, where...what was I saying?

Potential podium squatter in the walking stick aided fifty metre trek, down hospital coridoor with nurse at end of coridoor smiling patiently handicap Note: handicap races allow thirty metre start against octogenarians, twenty metre start against centurions.

Serious Gold Medal contender in throwing kitchen cutlery and utensils about in a random manner whilst swearing and trying to serve up four different meals to four different people whilst in the throes of serious sensory overload and post post exertional maliase freak out.