• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ME/CFS Genes Study by Dr. Nancy Klimas - Still Recruiting!

ebethc

what are the genes associated w ME/CFS? there must be a list somewhere... These are the ones that I know about, w my results:

TRPA1 rs4738202 A/G, A risk allele
TRPC4 rs655207 G/T, G risk allele
TRPM4 rs1160742 A/G, G risk allele
TRPM3 rs1328153 A/G, G risk allele
TRPM3 rs3763619 G/T, G risk allele

NOT in 23andme:
  • rs12682832, rs11142508, rs4454352, rs7865858, rs1504401, rs10115622.
  • rs2383844
  • rs6650469
Any others that we should know about? especially anything that's in 23andme.

ebethc

See this post in that thread, plus this and this and subsequent posts in other related threads.

The SNP studies did not find a valid association. There is no evidence that they are associated with ME/CFS.

1) it's ALL theories and directional (vs definitive) data at this point... does anyone in this community still not know that??
btw - low sample sizes, spotty statistics, is no different that a lot of "scientific research" (hello, gluten) ... Personally, I look up the snp's, make a note in a file on "CFS genetic research", and when there's more research (hopefully better quality) I'll look at it again..

2) One of the exciting things to me is that most of the current NIH-sponsored research plus the Ron Davis research is using large data sets w people who know how to do math.

3) not trying to convince anyone of anything... so, the bottom line is, um, okay.

alicec

it's ALL theories and directional (vs definitive) data at this point.

In the case of these SNPs, it's not even directional. The researchers themselves showed that by just using simple statistical correction they negated their own original report.

ebethc

In the case of these SNPs, it's not even directional. The researchers themselves showed that by just using simple statistical correction they negated their own original report.

the same thing happened w the gluten research in australia... the same team that said gluten sensitivity is a thing, then said that it's not.. the quality of so much research sucks