• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ME/CFS Article in "Last Word on Nothing"

slayadragon

"Last Word on Nothing" is a blog read primarily by science journalists. Today and tomorrow, they are featuring a piece about ME/CFS (including current issues with the definition) by math/science reporter Julie Rehmeyer.

From what I have seen, established journalists (apparently influenced by Reeves and Wessely) have almost across the board an incredibly inaccurate understanding of ME/CFS, in many cases willing to argue strongly that it is psychological. And science journalists appear to care a lot about what their peers think. I thus hope that the sharing of accurate information in this venue will change a lot of perceptions and result in better media coverage in the future.

-Lisa

http://www.lastwordonnothing.com/20...ful-about-chronic-fatigue-syndrome/#more-7604

caledonia

This was the best part:

Klimas, my doctor (now at Nova University), was among those who signed the letter requesting that HHS cancel its contract with the Institute of Medicine. I asked her why she was concerned. “I’m afraid they’re about a year early,” she said. If HHS had waited, she explained, they could have developed a disease definition grounded in data, and that’s what will give a definition the heft needed to change attitudes. Just a year would be enough: Several large studies are now analyzing symptoms and proposed biological markers for ME/CFS in more than a thousand patients and controls, looking for the telltale ones that most effectively distinguish them, upon which a definition could be based. Furthermore, Klimas said, without that evidence, a skeptical committee might dismiss the results of the many small studies that are now most revealing — and could as a result develop a broad definition that would exacerbate the current confusion.

Edited to add: To clarify, this is from Part 2.

Last edited:

Bob

Last edited:

jimells

If HHS had waited, she explained, they could have developed a disease definition grounded in data, and that’s what will give a definition the heft needed to change attitudes.

HHS is not a year early, because they are working to reinforce current attitudes. The hoopla around the IOM contract will drown out the data. This will be another victory for the propaganda machine.