1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
New Exercise Study Brings Both Illumination and Questions
Simon McGrath looks at new objective evidence of abnormal response to exercise in ME/CFS patients, and the questions that researchers are still trying to answer ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

ME/CFS and the Poverty Diet

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising Articles' started by Mark, Jul 25, 2013.

1. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6

Cornwall, UK
    It's a good start. Even better would be initiatives that ensure that children eat fruit and veg from an early age, such as this one in the UK:

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/5ADAY/Pages/Schoolscheme.aspx

I'd like to see schemes like this extended to older children, and to workplaces, for example. One crazy thing I see in the UK is the junk food available in hospitals, both in vending machines and in on-site shops. When I have been in hospital as an in-patient or outpatient I have not even been able to find straightforward packets of nuts, for example - only nuts that have been given various coatings like honey or chocolate!

I was astonished to see a teenage girl on UK TV who could not identify a cauliflower!
    golden likes this.
  2. golden

golden Senior Member

Clear Light
    This IS good news !

But yeah 5-7 is too little - poor 8 year olds missing out on their strawberries !

I spent loads of time in hospitals during my Mothers Cancer. And I too was astonished by the lack of nutrition.

I did actually fill out feedback forms to kill time.

I object to junk food being avsilable in hospital full stop. The actual nutrition in hospital meals is rubbish.

I would like to see so called places of healing set the example in good fluid intake and nutrition.

It was the Cancer hospital I was taken back with - at the cafe - the old lady asked me if i wanted my food heated in a microwave or the grill! She said a lot of people there dont want microwaved foods.

It must be demand from patients doing their own research ?

Mental hospitals too encourage dehydration through caffeine, sugar and junk. No nutritional status tests are done.

I see for example that a lack of Zinc can cause Anorexia and a distorted mental body image. When corrected, appetite returns as does normalised mental feelings of body!

So its just craziness that nutrition is denied as a fundamental form of health and healing.
    merylg and MeSci like this.

See more popular forum discussions.