1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
August 8th - What is the one thing about suffering with severe ME that the world needs to know?
Andrew Gladman brings our coverage of the Understanding & Remembrance Day for Severe ME, airing the voice of patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

ME/CFS and the Poverty Diet

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising Articles' started by Mark, Jul 25, 2013.

1. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6

Cornwall, UK
    It's a good start. Even better would be initiatives that ensure that children eat fruit and veg from an early age, such as this one in the UK:

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/5ADAY/Pages/Schoolscheme.aspx

I'd like to see schemes like this extended to older children, and to workplaces, for example. One crazy thing I see in the UK is the junk food available in hospitals, both in vending machines and in on-site shops. When I have been in hospital as an in-patient or outpatient I have not even been able to find straightforward packets of nuts, for example - only nuts that have been given various coatings like honey or chocolate!

I was astonished to see a teenage girl on UK TV who could not identify a cauliflower!

golden likes this.
  2. golden

golden Senior Member

Clear Light
    This IS good news !

But yeah 5-7 is too little - poor 8 year olds missing out on their strawberries !

I spent loads of time in hospitals during my Mothers Cancer. And I too was astonished by the lack of nutrition.

I did actually fill out feedback forms to kill time.

I object to junk food being avsilable in hospital full stop. The actual nutrition in hospital meals is rubbish.

I would like to see so called places of healing set the example in good fluid intake and nutrition.

It was the Cancer hospital I was taken back with - at the cafe - the old lady asked me if i wanted my food heated in a microwave or the grill! She said a lot of people there dont want microwaved foods.

It must be demand from patients doing their own research ?

Mental hospitals too encourage dehydration through caffeine, sugar and junk. No nutritional status tests are done.

I see for example that a lack of Zinc can cause Anorexia and a distorted mental body image. When corrected, appetite returns as does normalised mental feelings of body!

So its just craziness that nutrition is denied as a fundamental form of health and healing.

merylg and MeSci like this.

See more popular forum discussions.