1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Never Ask Us if We're Hungry -- The Answer's Always No
There are three of us here and for many years, none of us ever got hungry. When our brains would turn to mush, when our faces would go numb, and we would start the invisible vibration which is the signature dance of ME/CFS, we knew we needed to eat.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

ME/CFS and the Magic of the Canine Factor

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising Articles' started by Jody, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Senior Member

I miss my dog. I loved this article. I could see it all, Jody. I live in an apt and couldn't have a dog. I also couldn't afford it if anything went wrong or it became ill. If I had a BF, or husband...I would get one in a New York minute!

Thank you!
  2. Jody

Jody Senior Member

Canada
    Misfit Toy,

I know, they can be a financial drain. Fortunately, our son is so grateful that we could take Cleo that he contributes to her food costs and if she needs a vet visit or something extra he will cover it because we couldn't do it.
  3. DeGenesis

DeGenesis Senior Member

This article sparked my interest in a long-held love of Labrador Retrievers. I have ASD and am very lonely but I can take care of the dog for sure the best part is I just have to throw to give it exercise. Of course there are training and socializing classes and such but from what I've heard if you are lonely and want a companion you can't go wrong with a pooch.
    catly likes this.
  4. Jody

Jody Senior Member

Canada
    DeGenesis,

I would have to agree, after my experience with Cleo, that a dog can be a wonderful friend who eases the loneliness.
  5. ~Tatty~

~Tatty~

UK
    I'm surrounded by my four dogs as I type. They all have to be touching me when they sleep, so I just use them as wrist rests when I'm on the laptop :D
    catly likes this.
  6. xxRinxx

xxRinxx

Paducah, Kentucky
    My two toy aussies are everything to me<3 My boys keep me active as i can be,(I can't disappoint them by not playing fetch, their sad faces are heart breaking!). Frankly I don't think I could get through this without my dogs. They cuddle up against my legs or under my arms when I'm feeling cruddy and need a nap, they always know when I'm feeling bad, and they never fail to cheer me up when i feel down.
    When I'm feeling particularly spry I''ll volunteer at the local animal shelter and those dogs are always happy to have some one to pet and take them on walks, it really motivates me to get out on those days(even if my own dogs get /immensely/ jealous when I get home, hehe).
    AndyPandy likes this.
  7. Jody

Jody Senior Member

Canada
    Tatty,

Sounds like it works just right for all parties concerned.:)
  8. Jody

Jody Senior Member

Canada
    xxRinxx,

I know what you mean. There are plenty of days when I would never venture outside, but I don't want to disappoint the dog.:) And I know it's good for me since I am well enough for it and it doesn't make me crash anymore, to get outside and go for a walk. Cleo loves the park which is 10 min. away. I rarely feel like going there but I do it for her ... and always am glad I did it because it really is a beautiful little spot. So I owe that to her.:)
    xxRinxx likes this.
  9. liverock

liverock Senior Member

UK
    Jody and AndyPandy like this.
  10. Jody

Jody Senior Member

Canada
    lol Omigosh, Liverock, this dog is great! I need one of those.:)

I shared the video on my facebook:)
    liverock likes this.
  11. liverock

liverock Senior Member

UK
    Wait for Son of Jesse, he can do all of that plus the ironing as well.:);)
  12. Jody

Jody Senior Member

Canada
    Son of Jesse does better than me.:)
  13. belize44

belize44 Senior Member

Florida
    My cat is so precious to me because I don't have to take her for walks. When I am doing worse than usual, she will come and lay close to me, purring and gazing at me in concern with those large, gorgeous green eyes. I got her from the pound when she was nine months old, and it's now been 9 years since I brought her into my life. She saves me from isolation while my husband is at work, and carries on conversations with me when I talk to her.
  14. Jody

Jody Senior Member

Canada
    Belize44,

Sounds like a great comfort and great company. Cats can be very loving. Mine isn't:) but I have had other affectionate tabbies over the years.
    belize44 likes this.
  15. Goodness to M.E.

Goodness to M.E.

Adelaide
    Thank you so much Jody for sharing such a great story of enlightenment and joy.

After a long time being bedridden and running out of options to have my dog walked by others, the option to re-home him was unbearable as he had sat by my the side all this time and I never felt alone or isolated. Atticus was my best loyal friend and a friend like this is difficult to find and keep when having M.E.

To keep my best friend, like you I slowly, one step at a time commenced walking him to the park 10 minutes from our home, this took many weeks but I had also made a 15 meter lead so he could run around and exercise till we eventually celebrated our arrival onto the park bench where I could lay down and rest while Atticus ran around some more.

We forget sometimes that most tasks in life start and finish with 'one-step-at-a-time', a dose of determination and as always, hope.

The achievements and friendships made along the way not only brighten our day our health improves also.
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2014 at 9:33 PM
    belize44 likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.