• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ME/CFS and HIGH blood pressure

*GG*

I don't recall waking up notably much recently. Could sleep apnea be present without one noticing?

I believe so if you have a milder case/form. If you have a sleep partner they might notice, I think you stop "breathing" for a short while, which you do many times overnight while sleeping, (so you get a lack of oxygen in your body) but sometimes do not wake from it.

I had my "CFS" Dr prescribe me oxygen based upon my old sleep study, I first read about that on this forum, perhaps it helped me last in the workforce for a little while longer?!

GG

alex3619

I do not take OI medication as I also have high blood pressure. Its the high blood pressure meds that are the problem.

I do however consume lots of salt and water every day. Despite the salt my sodium is always low.

I do not take OI medication as I also have high blood pressure. Its the high blood pressure meds that are the problem.

I do however consume lots of salt and water every day. Despite the salt my sodium is always low.
Do you have the hyperadrenergic kind of POTS? I don't know what meds would do to me as my resting BP and HR is already marginally low at 90-100/60 and 50-55 bpm.

Richard7

can I add a kind of me too, I have low resting heart beat mid 40s to low 50s even sitting at a desk it is usually in the 50s, though it goes up after eating and is now in the mid 60s. And POTS, when I stand up it usually goes upimmediately by more than 30 bpm, sometimes much more, and can get much higher when I get lightheaded.

And have high blood pressure today measured at 177/105 63bpm, when I was having some palpitations and wondered what was going on and decided to search for this thread.

taniaaust1

I take more OI medication cause I have the high BP. I take two different meds to deal with the hyperadrenalic POTS (sorry I spelt that wrong) . Clonidine which helps with the POTS BP spikes as it helps keep noradrenaline down (so this BP lowering drug works differently then the other BP lowering drugs as it has more of a balancing affect on the BP so is suitable for those who also get hyptotension as well as the hyper)

Any chance you could be having issues with noradrenaline or adrenaline issues causing you BP to be high.....if so this would be the drug to trial for it as of cause with NMH taking one of those other BP lowering drugs would be probably an issue for that.

Last edited:

taniaaust1

Hi meadowlark, the last two doctors visits my BP was high, despite being on medication. That first time it was very high (not as high as yours, but almost) and my swelling in my feet had disappeared. I had had that swelling for many months.

There was a medical student there when I commented on my swelling who could not find swelling. He then found my BP was high. I think this is connected. If swelling suddenly goes away, then it could mean BP is spiking.

Bye
Alex

i'll have to try to study this in myself as I have had issues lately with my ankles swelling which others have been pointing out to me, I've no idea at all what my BP was doing at the time

taniaaust1

So you need to work out if you do have true high BP or if its dysregulated BP with it spiking up real high at times. (mine goes up to 156/138 when im upright and on my feet but is low when Im asleep 80/58).

since my post back in 2011. Ive found my BP now going up as high as 197 in one minute of standing.. or it can go as low as 0 for the dystolic reading with orthostatic hypotension.. the hospital witnessed that (of cause I'll be having to lay down when its that fallen).

I dont know if its got worst with time (I suspect that's what happened) or if I missed such abnormal readings before.

I havent changed my views at all from 2011 that this orthostatic hypertension is occuring in the long term ME patient group, Ive asked many more people and always found this to be the case (and is probably related to mast cell problems in a group of us).