Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

ME/CFS Alert - Episode 78 - Mary Dimmock

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Bob, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Gemini, Johannawj, shannah and 17 others like this.
  2. sarah darwins

sarah darwins I told you I was ill

Cornwall, UK
    Sheesh. I hadn't realised there were commercial providers of clinical guidelines. The one they discuss - Uptodate - is part of Wolters Kluwer ... "a global leader in professional information services. Professionals in the areas of legal, business, tax, accounting, finance, audit, risk, compliance and healthcare rely on Wolters Kluwer's market leading information-enabled tools and software solutions"

And they're recommending CBT/GET.

BurnA, Sean, Valentijn and 1 other person like this.
  3. shannah

shannah Senior Member

I wonder how Mary went about accessing treatment of Rituxan for her son.

4. Justin30

Justin30 Senior Member

Probably OMI is my guess. Dr Kolgenic doesnt even see new patients...he's full

5. mfairma

mfairma Senior Member

Hey @shannah
    I got it through a Rheumatologist in Florida, after trying Kineret for around 8 months or so. I posted about it once or twice before somewhere here. We have had to pay most of the infusions out of pocket, but have gotten the cost more under control in the last year or so by switching to a treat-to-target dosing schedule, where I only get infusions roughly once a year or if symptoms are beginning to worsen again.

Sidereal, Gemini, mango and 5 others like this.
  6. valentinelynx

valentinelynx Senior Member

Tucson
    Yep. And these are the sources that provide the guidelines that your insurance company uses to determine whether you qualify for an expensive drug or treatment. Access is limited by expensive membership fees, not public domain.

sarah darwins, Sean and Valentijn like this.
  7. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Excellent interview by Mary. :thumbsup:

Gemini, Comet, Amaya2014 and 2 others like this.
  8. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member

This is a really excellent interview. A very concise, articulate picture of the current status of ME.

LiveAgain and Comet like this.
  9. mfairma

mfairma Senior Member

Mary, my mom, never fails to be knowledgeable, articulate, and reasonable, all qualities of which this community needs more, but she lacks fire in how she communicates the problems in this disease. Our community needs more fire, much, much more, but balanced by knowledge, readability, and clarity of communication.

Comet, Gemini, Snowdrop and 1 other person like this.
  10. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member

The community needs fire but for me an advocate who is knowledgeable articulate and reasonable is to be cherished. Fire is good for getting attention and rousing the masses but once that is done the fire is less important than being articulate and knowledgeable.

Comet likes this.
  11. mfairma

mfairma Senior Member

[
    You can be forceful, fiery, and passionate, while still being articulate and knowledgeable. They are not mutually exclusive qualities.

Edit: But I do agree about cherishing those qualities in this disease. Certainly my mom's health makes it easier for her to be articulate than patients, but those qualities are something we need more of, I agree.

Comet and Amaya2014 like this.
  12. Amaya2014

Amaya2014 Senior Member

Columbus, GA
    @BurnA I agree wholeheartedly!

A fireman will have far more difficult trouble with a slow, steady burn that proves resistant to being extinguished than a roaring flame that may be fierce but quick to die out.

@medfeb thank you for your advocacy and keep it burning!

Comet, Kati and BurnA like this.
  13. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    Excellent interview. The magnificent "Thirty Years of Disdain" and contributions such as this provide all advocates, fiery, calm or otherwise inclined, with invaluable ammunition.

Amaya2014, Comet, mango and 1 other person like this.
  14. Comet

Comet I'm Not Imaginary

I didn't think she lacked anything. :) What a great interview.

Bob, Mel9, TiredSam and 2 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.