• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ME: bitterest row yet in a long saga

natasa778

I don't understand what you expect from a forum that's aimed at taking the rise out of quacks.
IVI

I would expect such a forum first and foremost to take the rise out of Wessley & Co quackery. The 'false illness believes' myths quackery.

The fact that a forum that is "aimed at exposing quackery" (what a joke) misses the biggest quacks and biggest myths of our time says it all. You take people for idiots by expecting them to believe such utter crap.

barbc56

Pot meet kettle!!;)
Funny, I have also heard the expression "keep an open mind but don't let your brains fall out" when referring to alternative or non science based medicine.
Breath in. Breath out!

Barb C.:>)

Purple

Bundle of purpliness
Oversight - more like just laziness ! The thing is, my mispelling of a product name, didn't produce a homonym that changed the intended meaning, nor was it in reply to a snide post that slagged off some other 'unnamed' people. You see that's where the humour comes in; being one of those people who was slagged off in a snide post, now every time I visit the BS site, I see myself in full Mr Angry mode hurling invective at an arbitrary division of time - sums up very well my existential impotence and makes me laugh. So I thought I'd share.

Interesting point about the M.E dot. Grammatically nonsensical ? How so ? Capitalisation is hardly sound grammar, it's a lazy convenience and traditionally when used did include a full stop after each capital to indicate that a real word was not being intended - of course in the case of acronyms arguably the full stop should be absent. Anyway none of that is really the 'point' (get it ? - hmm that could be infinitely recursive) - the point is you, and hopefully others see the M.E with a 'dot', as separate and primary too CFS - (note not C.F.S which would be punctuationally consistent but that's not my aim) when separated by a slash . We have no choice but to talk about CFS because that (no matter how much we may dislike it) is what many people are coming to this forum having been diagnosed with , and I don't see those people as separate from me (M.E get it ?) so the best construction I've arrived at is M.E/CFS.

IVI

You can look up how to punctuate when shortening words... and what the differences between US and UK spelling conventions are... the conventions are really simple - and don't include punctuating one shortened word and not the other(s) when they are shortened the same way - since you have highlighted 'consistency' above. Hence "grammatically nonsensical", as I said the first time. Also FYI - in English, we don't put a space in front of a question mark.

Pot meet kettle!!;)
Funny, I have also heard the expression "keep an open mind but don't let your brains fall out" when referring to alternative or non science based medicine.
Breath in. Breath out!

YES Barb!!!

You heard the "By all means lets be open minded, but not so open minded that our brains drop out" quote from me!

Just today!! I quoted that Richard Dawkins quip on 'open mindedness' to you!!

To emphasise that your exhortations to PR members to be "open minded" about the shenanigans that go on on the Bad ScienceForum (BS) should be treated with caution ....
... to emphasise that the BS Forum should only be approached in a seriously critical thinking manner.

By "Non Science based medicine" - are you referring to, for instance, Homeopathy - or to the UK CBT/GET PACE TRIAL... Or to the Lightning Process NLP Coaching scam that is currently being trialled on ME children in the UK ?? ????

Barb - do you actually KNOW ANYTHING about the UK PACE Trial ???

Or about the UK SMILE Trial of the NLP Coaching Course scam (Lightning Process) that is being trialled on UK youngsters by Dr Esther Crawley ???? ????

I understand that you do not live in Britain, and from your previous posts its clear that you do not comprehend how UK medical institutions, including the NHS, actually operate.

If you do not understand how our UK institutions actually work, and are uninformed/foggy about central and crucial issues of the UK ME policy for adults and children - then why on earth did you so confidently dismiss high quality evidence from seriously respected sources ?? ???

Evidence such as the high quality Reports I posted by the UK ME Childrens Charity The Tymes Trust about the well referenced mistreatment of children with ME in the UK due to wrongful child protection investigations ..

You did not appear to have a clue about the background or status of those Reports.

Do you know what child protection investigations actually means in the UK?

Do you know ANYTHING about how the UK Family Courts operate?

No. I didn't think that you did.
Did you actually READ the Tymes Trust reports that I posted, ??? ???

I do get the impression that you are relatively new to the UK 'Skeptics' scene. If you were an old timer - well, you would have recognised the Dawkins quote and gathered that it was being applied 'outside of the box'.

barbc56

You heard the "By all means lets be open minded, but not so open minded that our brains drop out" quote from me!
Just today!! I quoted that Richard Dawkins quip on 'open mindedness' to you!!

I'm not quite sure what you are saying here. This is something I have heard for years.

If you do not understand how our UK institutions actually work, and are uninformed/foggy about central and crucial issues of the UK ME policy for adults and children - then why on earth did you so confidently dismiss high quality evidence from seriously respected sources ?? ???
Evidence such as the high quality Reports I posted by the UK ME Childrens Charity The Tymes Trust about the well referenced mistreatment of children with ME in the UK due to wrongful child protection investigations ..

If I remember correctly I felt it was not high quality evidence. If you could point out the post, I would appreciate it as I don't have enough energy to look for it at the moment.

I have always used the caveat that I don't know every detail of the UK system whether health, child protection agencies and would hope that would be taken into account. However, there are some issues, certainly not all which transcend this such as the quality of "evidence", but I certainly appreciate any info. that is helpful.

barbc56,

Barbc56 wrote: "I have always used the caveat that I don't know every detail of the UK system whether health, child protection agencies and would hope that would be taken into account."

It is your responsibility to make sure you know what you are talking about before dismissing high qualty evidence from high status Reports that you clearly hadn't even read!

It is not the responsibility of informed UK patients to take your ignorance of our systems into account when reading your posts in which you refuted high quality evidence and, more seriously, dismissed such serious matters as the mistreatment of children with ME in the UK.

I do not have the energy to locate my previous posts for you - with links to evidence that you did not bother to read in the first place.

Locate my posts and copious links to Tymes Trust Reports yourself.

I have already bothered to post them on this Forum and should not have to find them for you!

What is this? You refuted the evidence that I bothered to locate and post. And now you want me to do it all over again. Get Real! I have ME and limited energy, which I am not prepared to waste on your games.

barbc56

Oh, no not at all. I appreciate you posting the information.. It has nothing to do with the fact that you posted this but what I think is the quality of evidence.

I don't have the time nor energy on games either but you are the one who brought this subject up, so I responded. Maybe we should just agree to disagree on the validity of the evidence and not continue the conversation?

Oh, no not at all. I appreciate you posting the information.. It has nothing to do with the fact that you posted this but what I think is the quality of evidence.

I don't have the time nor energy on games either but you are the one who brought this subject up, so I responded. Maybe we should just agree to disagree on the validity of the evidence and not continue the conversation?

You could not possibly have 'thought' that the quality or validity of the evidence was lacking because
1. you hadn't read it
2. you did not comprehend the sources or status of the evidence.

You surely cannot fail to comprehend that by refuting posted evidence as you did, that you discourage others from reading it or taking it seriously.

Sigh - I expect I am going to have to locate and post the Tymes Trust ME Children's Charity Child Protection cases Reports evidence all over again, the third time I have posted it on this Forum!!! Those Reports included a joint investigation with a BBC Panaorama investigation team, that resulted in a BBC Panorama national TV programme exposee of mistreatment of children with ME in 1999.

It would be preferable (and decent) for those who citicise evidence to have bothered to read it first!

You cannot seriously be proposing to shut down discussion of the issue of the medical and legal abuse of children with ME in the UK ??

After refuting the evidence - now you want to close the subject ?? ??

"Tymes Trust Debate" ?? ??

Is that what the medical and social and legal safety of children with ME has been brought down to on this forum ??

barbc56

Thanks, Firestorm. I could not find this information. All the post seem to merge into one theme.

So, WildCat, I will rest my case as I have already answered in the other thread. Thanks.