• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ME Association Ramsay Research Fund invests in new study to examine dysfunctional immune system

Murph

:)
http://www.meassociation.org.uk/201...une-system-and-energy-metabolism-15-may-2018/

ME Association Ramsay Research Fund invests in new study with ME/CFS Biobank to examine dysfunctional immune system and energy metabolism | 15 May 2018

By Dr Charles Shepherd, Hon. Medical Adviser, ME Association.

The ME Association is delighted to announce that our Ramsay Research Fund (RRF) will be funding some exciting new research that will further examine both immune system dysfunction in M.E. and defects in the way that energy is being produced at a cellular level.

Members of the ME/CFS Biobank team (Dr Luis Nacal, Dr Eliana Lacerda and Caroline Kingdon) with Prof. Jo Edwards and Dr Charles Shepherd. The B- and T-cell main study will examine samples from 100 patients (50 moderate: 50 severe) and 100 controls (50 healthy: 50 MS) using flow cytometry.

The immune system component will build on some existing research findings relating to T and B cell status in M.E. and will be based at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM).

The T cell work has been carried out at the LSHTM using samples from the UK ME/CFS Biobank. The results of this research are being prepared for publication. The LSHTM project team will be led by Dr Luis Nacul and Dr Jackie Cliff.

T cells are so called because they are mainly produced in the thymus gland. They recognise foreign particles (antigens) through T cell receptors. There are two major types of T cell – T helper cells and cytotoxic T cells.

The B cell work will be based on research that was started at University College London (UCL) by Professor Jo Cambridge and Mr Fane Mensah, mainly in relation to investigating the function and energy requirements of B cells.

B cells are a specific type of white blood cell which mature into what are called plasma cells. These are the cells that produce antibodies which are needed to fight off infections. Others mature into what are called memory B cells.

This new research will investigate how abnormalities in this part of the immune system are linked with evidence that is now emerging of a disturbance in the way that energy is being produced at a cellular level in M.E.

The T and B cell research will be using blood samples from the ME/CFS Biobank – where we now have a large number of samples from people with M.E. (including with severe M.E.), people with multiple sclerosis and healthy controls.

It will draw on the expertise not only of the CureME clinical research team but also of other experts in immunology at the LSHTM.

... more at the link...

http://www.meassociation.org.uk/201...une-system-and-energy-metabolism-15-may-2018/

ME Association Ramsay Research Fund invests in new study with ME/CFS Biobank to examine dysfunctional immune system and energy metabolism | 15 May 2018

By Dr Charles Shepherd, Hon. Medical Adviser, ME Association.

The ME Association is delighted to announce that our Ramsay Research Fund (RRF) will be funding some exciting new research that will further examine both immune system dysfunction in M.E. and defects in the way that energy is being produced at a cellular level.

Members of the ME/CFS Biobank team (Dr Luis Nacal, Dr Eliana Lacerda and Caroline Kingdon) with Prof. Jo Edwards and Dr Charles Shepherd. The B- and T-cell main study will examine samples from 100 patients (50 moderate: 50 severe) and 100 controls (50 healthy: 50 MS) using flow cytometry.

The immune system component will build on some existing research findings relating to T and B cell status in M.E. and will be based at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM).

The T cell work has been carried out at the LSHTM using samples from the UK ME/CFS Biobank. The results of this research are being prepared for publication. The LSHTM project team will be led by Dr Luis Nacul and Dr Jackie Cliff.

T cells are so called because they are mainly produced in the thymus gland. They recognise foreign particles (antigens) through T cell receptors. There are two major types of T cell – T helper cells and cytotoxic T cells.

The B cell work will be based on research that was started at University College London (UCL) by Professor Jo Cambridge and Mr Fane Mensah, mainly in relation to investigating the function and energy requirements of B cells.

B cells are a specific type of white blood cell which mature into what are called plasma cells. These are the cells that produce antibodies which are needed to fight off infections. Others mature into what are called memory B cells.

This new research will investigate how abnormalities in this part of the immune system are linked with evidence that is now emerging of a disturbance in the way that energy is being produced at a cellular level in M.E.

The T and B cell research will be using blood samples from the ME/CFS Biobank – where we now have a large number of samples from people with M.E. (including with severe M.E.), people with multiple sclerosis and healthy controls.

It will draw on the expertise not only of the CureME clinical research team but also of other experts in immunology at the LSHTM.

... more at the link...
good news, we believe that the immune system is afflicted in ME CFS. We have shown that the natural killer (NK) T cells , the macrophages, are reduced in number and in function.
Controversial research by Yamimoto in the 1990's suggested Macrophage Activating Factor (MAF) acted positively on macrophages.
Derek Enlander MD
New York