• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

MCV higher after b12 shots

I started taking hydroxocobalamin shots and my MCV got higher than its ever been. Does anyone know why this might be? I was also chelating mercury if that could have anything to do with. Im just wondering if the b12 shots are actually bad for me. It seems like the white moons on my fingernails become less after I take a shot.

Mary

Moderator Resource
I started taking hydroxocobalamin shots and my MCV got higher than its ever been. Does anyone know why this might be? I was also chelating mercury if that could have anything to do with. Im just wondering if the b12 shots are actually bad for me. It seems like the white moons on my fingernails become less after I take a shot.

Are you taking folate as well? High MCV can be caused by a folate as well as B12 deficiency. The B12 may be increasing your need for folate.

Also, be aware that either B12 or folate, or both, can increase your need for potassium, often very suddenly, and low potassium can cause severe fatigue, arrhythmia, muscle spasms, etc. There are several threads on the board about this.

Yes I did take a supplement with 800mcg folate but not too regularly. Now I switched to one with 400mcg. Hopefully it will be enough if I take it every day. What is a good dose to take? I thought I might have been overdoing it with 800.

Carl

I have had a very slightly elevated MCV for a long time, it could be thyroid related. I did not notice any change when taking very high doses of methylcobalamin, 30mg/day. I no longer take that amount and now take more oral hydroxycobalamin than methyl B12 3:1. B12 and folate can cause problems with MCV as suggested previously.

Thyroid problems can be a cause but there are a number of possible causes include liver function problems. What blood levels are you getting?

I have also always had a slightly elevated mcv around 95 or 96. I thought b12 shots would help but it went up to 98. I dont think my thyroid is very good so maybe that is part of the reason for my mcv but when I took megafood b12 it was 93 so I am going to try that again. Im not sure about my liver but my alt and ast has always been very low, is that a problem?