• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

MCS

place

Be Strong!
Not sure if this will help those with smell sensitivities but… I could not go down the soap isle due to all the smells. However, I have been using baby shampoo for my sinus rinse. It is known to TEMPORARLY take away your sense of smell. Anyway, I could go down that soap isle all day long with no repercussions. Intersted to see if it works for others?

taniaaust1

Unfortunately that wouldnt work for me as Im reacting to the actual chemicals given off by things rather then the scents. I actually get sick at times from chemical things I like the smell of.

There is actually chemicals in most baby shampoos.

manna

time to time my sense of smell goes, generally when im worse, and i don't notice scents so much, chemical or otherwise. the first way i know then, that there are chemicals i can't tolerate, is when its too late and im hyper reacting. thats one way you know its not mind/body, as it occurs when you're not even aware its there. if you don't react when you can't smell it then you don't have mcs. many mcs folk react in blind provocation tests where they have no idea what they're being tested with. losing your sense of smell is never good is it? i don't think id be putting it up my nose. i used to do the salt one but have found other ways for sinuses now.

Last edited: