1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS: A disease at war with itself
We can all agree that ME/CFS is a nasty disease, particularly in its severe form, but there are abundant nasty diseases in the world. What is unique and particularly confounding about our disease is that so much controversy surrounds it, and not only surrounds it, but invades it too.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

MCS after Black Mould Exposure

Discussion in 'Addressing Biotoxin, Chemical & Food Sensitivities' started by Sammy, Apr 12, 2012.

  1. Sammy

    Sammy

    Messages:
    85
    Likes:
    11
    Hi,

    i lived in an apartment 2 years ago and at which I developed a case of black mould( sensitivity?) due to a roof leak they could not find to fix. My initial reaction was a skin itch which progressivly got worse over the next 3 years and started to cause an asthma type reaction when even I started to get itchy, so I had to leave that appartment. Moved into a 3 or 4 year old home which did not present a problem for the next year an a half.

    The problem i now have is that i had to move again, the unit is fully renovated, whole kitcken, paint, bathroom etc. The problem I have is I am reacting the same way as the black mould ridden unit, it realy realy depresses me as i still have anothe 8months on the lease.

    I have tryed lechithin to bowel tolerants 2 to 4caps daily and 10mg sinulair day along with phenergan or claritine.

    I realy dont know what to do now and realy desperate :|

    PS the kitchen area seems to affect me more then anywhere else ..
     
  2. slayadragon

    slayadragon Senior Member

    Messages:
    1,100
    Likes:
    403
    twitpic.com/photos/SlayaDragon
    The problem is that once people are exposed to toxic mold for an extended period of time, they become especially reactive to it with even very small amounts being enough to keep them sick. In some cases, the sensitivity can spread to other chemicals as well.

    I wish there were an easy way to reduce reactivity to the mold once people already have been made sick by it, but so far I haven't heard of one. Plain and simple avoidance seems the most successful. Some people eventually get their reactivity to go down somewhat, but (for people with ME/CFS) it generally takes a long time and a lot of active detox and/or pathogen killing to get it to decrease at all.

    Some people become so reactive that they start to be bothered by the toxins that get stuck to things that have been stored in moldy buildings as well.

    f you're reacting to your current place, it likely has a hidden problem with mold (many places do even after being renovated). You could just be reacting to the toxins stuck to the surfaces. (The whole reason that mold makes toxins is to coat all the surfaces so that bacteria are killed off, so that it can grow more freely. The toxins don't go away just because the mold is remediated.)

    Having to break a lease is really expensive. But living in a bad place can be really expensive too.

    In general, if you want more info, please let me know and I will send some to you.

    Best, Lisa
     
    Sammy likes this.
  3. Sammy

    Sammy

    Messages:
    85
    Likes:
    11
    Thank you Lisa. I think avoidence is my only real option like you said.

    So sick of this illness and the secondary health compications we have to deal with while haveing CFS/ME.

    Btw it is interesting you mention" detox" as my phase 1 and 2 are not working very well - i know that due to pathology.....
     
  4. Adster

    Adster Senior Member

    Messages:
    566
    Likes:
    223
    Australia
    Sammy, have you considered an air purifier? If it is a smallish place you might find you can get the air clean enough that you don't react anymore. You want a charcoal/hepa type unit.
     
  5. Sammy

    Sammy

    Messages:
    85
    Likes:
    11
    Thanks adster, thats what family just recommended as it is a smallish place too.
     
  6. slayadragon

    slayadragon Senior Member

    Messages:
    1,100
    Likes:
    403
    twitpic.com/photos/SlayaDragon
    It certainly would be nice if air purifiers were helpful with regard to toxic mold. However, what actually happens is that the machine provides a small amount of reduction in the amount of toxin during the initial few days or weeks, after which it becomes the worst item in the house and then just another thing to throw away when people finally get out.

    Air purifiers sometimes can be helpful for MCS issues though.

    Best, Lisa
     
  7. caledonia

    caledonia

    Messages:
    3,036
    Likes:
    1,708
    Cincinnati, OH, USA
    Maybe you could try isolating the kitchen from the rest of the apartment, with plastic and tape. Set up a kitchen area somewhere else.
     
  8. Adster

    Adster Senior Member

    Messages:
    566
    Likes:
    223
    Australia
    If you changed the outer hepa filter regularly, could it be better than nothing until a permenent solution is found? Surely that would reduce the spread of spores?

    Another thing is to keep the humidity in the house as low as possible. Clean your window glass and aluminium window/door frames regularly with something like hydrogen peroxide. These surfaces get damp when they get cold from the outside air temperature and are a great spot for mold spores to grow. I have to keep these areas really clean in my house after some carpet got flooded in a lower floor and spread spores throughout the house.


     
  9. slayadragon

    slayadragon Senior Member

    Messages:
    1,100
    Likes:
    403
    twitpic.com/photos/SlayaDragon
    Another eight months on the lease is a very long time. Regardless of whether people seal off the problem area or use air purifiers with replaceable filters, this is enough time to give people exposure to which their condition may permanently decline, meaning that they may never get back to their current state.

    I would focus on leaving. However, I probably would not use the mold as a reason when I discussed the situation with the landlord. That will just make them upset, because they will feel that they won't be able to sell the property to someone else. Instead, I'd come up with a totally unrelated reason (e.g. "My finances dictate that I find something less expensive" or "I have to move to a different state") and try to work something out in a cordial way.

    Best, Lisa
     

See more popular forum discussions.

Share This Page