The Real ME: A Stock Photography Resource for the Media
We’ve all seen them in the news stories about ME/CFS: the guy in a suit at the office, yawning; the beautiful woman sitting at her desk with her immaculate make-up and elegantly coiffed hair, hand to her head and looking slightly pained.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

MCAS and ANA

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by notmyself, May 17, 2018 at 7:32 AM.

1. notmyself

notmyself Senior Member

hi, sorry for the off topic since is not about ME/CFs, but here is the only section i can post ..Would ANA will be elevated in MCAS or any mast cell disorder?! since ANA is showing autoimunity

2. liverock

liverock Senior Member

UK
  3. Lisa108

Lisa108

Just to split some hairs:
    If you have ANAs, you very likely have an autoimmune disease. (Although some healthy people/elderly people will show ANAs, too).
    But not all autoimmune diseases are caused by ANAs, as these are just one type of autoantibodies.
    For example, in Hashimoto (an autoimmune disease), you won't find ANAs, but TPO and/or TG (auto)antibodies.

A list of autoimmune diseases associated with ANAs is here.

4. notmyself

notmyself Senior Member

i don't have ANA, not even close...that's the thing..i kinda suspect MCAS but just don t want to start again going to doctors..especially since MCAS is very hard to diagnose aswell...

Neunistiva likes this.
  5. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    I think you guys are using “ANA” to mean two different terms. ANA is the abbreviation for anaphylaxis but it is also the acronym for “anti nuclear antibodies” (general test for autoimmunity) in case this helps.

6. notmyself

notmyself Senior Member

yes..i meant the anti nuclear antibodies..wich i test twice for them and come back negative ...as for anaphylaxis ,is a hallmark of mcas or not?..thanks

Gingergrrl likes this.
  7. Lisa108

Lisa108

I meant antinuclear autoantibodies, too. As for information about MCAS I only know a Swiss homepage (English translation available). Don't know it this is helpful, but here is the link.

Gingergrrl likes this.
  8. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    Sorry for my confusion @notmyself and when you said you didn’t have ANA, I thought you might’ve been referring to anaphylaxis. Sorry I misunderstood!

See more popular forum discussions.