1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
August 8th - What is the one thing about suffering with severe ME that the world needs to know?
Andrew Gladman brings our coverage of the Understanding & Remembrance Day for Severe ME, airing the voice of patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

MBSR Effective in Managing Pain

Discussion in 'Alternative Therapies' started by Cort, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    MBSR (mindfulness based stress reduction) was developed by John Kabat Zinn about 20 years ago to treat people in pain who didn't respond to pain drugs. It involves a variety of meditational and mindfulness techniques.

This study suggests it can be very effective -which is amazing considering how strong a symptom pain can be. Research has shown, though, that when the brain produces endorphins during feelings of happiness, well-being, etc. that the activity of the pain circuits dies down. These techniques are able to produce those endorphins.

While it may seem lightweight I think this stuff can really work. It's entirely possible that pain and fatigue are generated by the brain (not the muscles). If this is true then there should be a way to overcome some of the signals produced by it.

1: J Pain. 2008 Sep;9(9):841-8. Epub 2008 Jun 12. Links
    "I felt like a new person." the effects of mindfulness meditation on older adults with chronic pain: qualitative narrative analysis of diary entries.

Morone NE, Lynch CS, Greco CM, Tindle HA, Weiner DK.
    Department of Medicine, Division of General Internal Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA. moronene@upmc.edu
  2. Jody

Jody Senior Member

Canada
    Well, they're compiling evidence that meditation and other mind-practices works. So I guess it ain't so lightweight after all.

I wonder what it is in us that stubbornly wants to view it as lightweight (I do it too, as much as you do) when the proof is out there and not just as data but we have sometimes had the experience of it ourselves?

Man, have we been brainwashed by a culture that we are discovering, doesn't know what it's talking about in these areas.:rolleyes:

This is excellent stuff because it puts some control and chance for healing, back into our own hands. So many things are out of our control or out of our financial abilities, can't get to this doctor because of distance, ill health or his unavailability ... Here is something that resides with us wherever we are, bedridden or not, vibrating or not, coherent or not.

Cool. :D

See more popular forum discussions.