• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mb12 made me feel angry

I tried a 1 mg tablet of the enzymatic therapy brand mb12 today for the first time. It was an experiment really as im seeing improvements on the hydroxyb12 drops.

I did get the feeling that my tmj trigger points were responding more positively to the mb12 compared to hb12. However I felt bleak after about half an hour then angry. The anger is still with me an hour later. Very odd. I'm glad no one is here at the moment as I feel distinctly anti social. It's not making me want to take any more of the mb12 to be honest.

I reacted recently with bleakness to SAM-e to the point I wouldn't take it again.

TMG however has made me feel better in terms of energy and pain.

I wish I understood better what was going on in my body!

I do have the partial block as confirmed by the European nutrients lab test, btw.

Any insights gratefully received! Thanks.

Oops I think this might be the / an answer if anger is an excitotoxic symptom! Found this on the b12 post:

Has anyone had problems with methyl b12 where an existing anxiety or nervous system arousal is made worse when taking methyl b12. I think this happens and can not be written off to start up effect.

Hi, retireddpm.

I think this is due to an increase in the excitotoxicity of the neurons that have NMDA glutamate receptors. When methionine synthase is first stimulated using B12 and folate, it converts more of the homocysteine into methionine, so that less enters the transsulfuration pathway to support glutathione synthesis. Glutathione therefore drops initially on this type of treatment, and that impacts the ability of the astrocytes in the brain to import glutamate and convert it to glutamine for recycle back to the neurons. The glutamate level in the synapses thus stays too high, and that causes too much stimulation of the NMDA receptors, raising the state of excitotoxicity. Anxiety, insomnia and nervousness are symptoms of excitotoxicity.

This should calm down as the methylation cycle recovers and more homocysteine is available to go to glutathione synthesis. In the meantime, I have suggested that using some liposomal glutathione might help. The new acetyl glutathione that is supplied by Allergy Research Group might also be a possibility. I haven't had much feedback on this yet, so can't say for sure if it will work.

There are several other supplements that may help with excitotoxicity. Among them are magnesium, taurine, progesterone cream, GABA, theanine, Valerian root and some others. Dr. Yasko has suggested these in her book "Autism, Pathways to Recovery."

Rich

drex13

Hi harrycat,

For me, the methyl b12 has not worked so well, as I seem to get quite ill on it. I have not experienced anger, however the AD b12 really increased my anxiety. I would take 1/4 to 1/2 of a tab of the source naturals dibencozide and would get an increase in anxiety that would last for 1 1/2 to 2 days. So, I've opted to stick with the H b12 for now.

I realize this is a very old thread but in case anyone is searching with similar issues. Just wanted to thank harrycat for posting his finding from Rich VanK. I suffer from extreme irritability when taking Mb12 and have tried it on and off, always in tiny amounts, but always end up feeling terrible. I stopped taking it for a long time and tried again today. I was sorry I did. The same old symptoms came back with a vengeance....extreme irritability, brain fog and anxiety. Hoping for some answers, I logged on to Phoenix Rising and came across this posting. Just wanted to report on trying a small amount (approx 50 mg) of Gabapentin as recommended above to counteract the effects. Within a half hour my head cleared and I didn't feel irritable anymore. I am so happy....it worked!! Thank goodness for this forum and its extremely knowledgeable and helpful members! Rich was a caring, intelligent man whose knowledge in methylation issues was phenomenal. He is deeply missed.

I had the same reaction to 5mg (5000mcg) Jarrow lozenges. I clearly overdosed and took 1-2 EVERY day for 2 weeks. I felt exponentially angrier, much more irritated and aggressive. Now it's 12 hours I'm off it and still angry.