Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Mayo Researchers Identify New Borrelia Species that Causes Lyme Disease

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease and Co-Infections' started by minkeygirl, Feb 8, 2016.

1. minkeygirl

minkeygirl But I Look So Good.

Left Coast
  2. duncan

duncan Senior Member

Master's disease, sans the Lonestar tick?

Regardless, if you include Master's, then you have non-bbss that runs from Texas up north to Canada - covering the entire midwest US.

3. roller

roller wiggle jiggle

duncan likes this.
  4. sarah darwins

sarah darwins I told you I was ill

Cornwall, UK
    Slightly eyebrow-raising moment from the video: physicians "don't need to change their diagnostic algorithms [or] treatment algorithms". Some would beg to differ.

Valentijn and duncan like this.
  5. duncan

duncan Senior Member

First of all, there are many Lyme patients who have had acute Lyme with nausea and vomiting. I am one of them. I also have had my share of atypical EM's. I've had bull's eyes as well. So why are these symptoms considered unusual for acute cases?

The higher concentration in blood is interesting. How do they know this? Microscopy? If so, microscopy is frowned upon in mainstream circles. What did they compare levels with? And how many were they able to find again? Six? After how many years and samples? We are supposed to be impressed with this?

Whose Lyme disease? Steere's? Or is it more akin to what is described as garinii? Do they even know the disease's progression? Knees? Brain? Heart?

Why was it named after an institution? Did no one want his name associated with this? I'd love to have heard that conversation.

Finally, and perhaps most telling: Mayo.

There are two diseases I would not stand in line to go get a diagnosis at Mayo. One is ME/CFS. The other is Lyme.

6. sarah darwins

sarah darwins I told you I was ill

Cornwall, UK
    She says in the video it was named "in honour of Will and Charlie Mayo, who founded the Mayo clinic". And they're both dead so they can't complain!

Antares in NYC, Valentijn and duncan like this.
  7. duncan

duncan Senior Member

8. JohnnyD

JohnnyD Senior Member

9. Antares in NYC

Antares in NYC Senior Member

USA
    I had all of the above, particularly at the beginning of the infection, during the acute phase. It was horrible.

The folks from Mayo talk like they just discovered these symptoms in Lyme. They seem to subscribe to the Steere tenet that Lyme is just a disease of the knees.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
    duncan and sarah darwins like this.
  10. Gemini

Gemini Senior Member

seunderwood likes this.
  11. Antares in NYC

Antares in NYC Senior Member

USA
    Also, I don't want to be picky or minimize the discovery by the Mayo Clinic, but there as many as 12 different species of borrelia aside from Burgdorferi known to cause Lyme disease or lyme-like severe borreliosis/relapsis fever, including:

- Borrelia Garini
    - Borrelia Miyamotoi
    - Borrelia Alfzelii

Mayonii is the latest addition to this nasty family.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
    duncan and sarah darwins like this.
  12. duncan

duncan Senior Member

Not to mention, it's Mayo. As we discussed earlier, they don't even seem to have a handle on the basic symptoms associated with acute Lyme.

How does this compare genetically to Master's disease (CDC's STARI), I wonder?

Antares in NYC likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.