1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The ePatient Revolution
Ryan Prior shares his experience and his thoughts from attending the Stanford Medicine X Conference as he contemplates the rising of the ePatient Revolution ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Mayo clinic starts Mitochondrial biobank & is recruiting volunteers!

Discussion in 'Active Clinical Studies' started by FernRhizome, Feb 5, 2010.

1. FernRhizome

FernRhizome Senior Member

Hi Folks:
    As a member of the United Mitochondrial Diseases Foundation I just received an e-mail that they are working with the Mayo Clinic to start a new biobank of blood samples of folks with mitochondrial diseases, included acquired mito diseases. You can read more about it at the following website below. They are looking for folks to donate blood and answer some questions. It's all for research purposes so you don't get back any individual results.

Eventually, Dr. Vamsi Mootha's Boston lab will have available the new "chip" test from a drop of blood to diangosis mito disease becomes available in the human model. I am guessing this may be why UMDF and the Mayo Clinic are starting up a biobank for blood. As previously a muscle tissue biopsy was needed for testing. So if they are biobanking blood this is great news that they must be close to being able to look at mito disorders via blood samples. ~FernRhizome

http://mayoresearch.mayo.edu/mitochondrial-disease-biobank/?tr=y&auid=5903038
  2. _Kim_

_Kim_ Guest

To Learn More:
    Call or e-mail a Mitochondrial Disease Biobank Staff Member:
    507-293-1386 (local)
    1-877-594-2149 (toll-free)
    mitochondrialdb@mayo.edu
  3. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    Thanks for posting this information Fern, even though I'm about a year late. :)
  4. ggingues

ggingues $10 gift code at iHerb GAS343 of $40

Concord, NH
    Thanks for your post Wayne, it brought it to my radar screen. Looks like it will be easier to participate in than CAA's Biobank!

GG

See more popular forum discussions.