Professor & patients' paper on the solvable biological challenge of ME/CFS: reader-friendly version
Simon McGrath provides a patient-friendly version of a peer-reviewed paper which highlights some of the most promising biomedical research on ME/CFS ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

May I puke? Look at this...

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by misskatniss, Nov 1, 2014.

1. misskatniss

misskatniss Senior Member

Germany
  2. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
  3. Kina

Kina Admin Support Staff

Ontario, Canada
    It might be time to contact them and tell them why they are full of s**t.

MeSci, lnester7, Valentijn and 5 others like this.
  4. Denise

Denise Senior Member

It is horrible that something like this exists. But knowing about it may help us counter it and similar things.

As @Kina says - since they claim to want feedback, well reasoned feedback should be provided to them!

lnester7 and jimells like this.
  5. misskatniss

Germany
    I wrote a comment already, and I´d appreciate if many guys around here make them notice how much crap that statistic is! That´s the perpetuating of We**ely ideology, and every time it is repeated in the net, an algorithm thinks it is more valid. I HATE this simplicistic view!!! Here you can aslo see what perr reviews might be worth... or not... :devil:

6. chipmunk1

chipmunk1 Senior Member

i don't think that websites like that are effective in providing any useful information for most sufferers.
    Health is not easily quantified in a simple statistic by taking the mean or average or whatever. There are a lot of specific things that you need to know and even then it pretty much varies from individual to individual what works and what not.

you would only use this website if you have something where no obvious cure exists otherwise you could just use wikipedia or ask your neighbor or your physician. You could use the data at best for brainstorming or getting some ideas about certain associations where you could focus your research that's all. another problem is that they don't state how they compute the ranks so you don't even know what a higher ranking exactly means and what variables make the treatment rank higher than others.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
    misskatniss likes this.
  7. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

The saying "garbage in, garbage out" fits perfectly here. Feed a computer program with bad data and you get bad results.

xchocoholic, NK17, Valentijn and 4 others like this.
  8. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member

I was trying to work out who is getting what out of this website and how, and why, and well ... all those other w's. Is it a SPAM ad site or a sad geek trying to do their own wikihealthier, or what? Or maybe the computers have taken over the world already?

taniaaust1, aimossy and jimells like this.
  9. chipmunk1

chipmunk1 Senior Member

it is recommending aluminium as a treatment for autism. also it calls autism , Autisim. Another listed treatment for Autism is Psilocybin. For a burn physical exercise is recommended.

the best treatment for celiac disease is gliadin.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
    taniaaust1, Scarecrow and jimells like this.
  10. Jonathan Edwards

Unless, that's the whole point - to get people to write in and put them on a SPAM list?

SOC and alex3619 like this.
  11. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

It's a search engine that condenses some available information about conditions and treatments. I don't know if it displays ads because I have an ad blocker in my browser. Anyway, with enough traffic, the site could generate some profit via ads and sales of related products.

12. chipmunk1

chipmunk1 Senior Member

it just shows that automated tools are fairly useless when it comes to that kind of problems.

alex3619 likes this.
  13. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    I can't even read articles like that b/c they get me too angry and annoyed :mad::mad::mad:. If I tried to do aerobic exercise right now I would probably drop dead.

Revel, Min and misskatniss like this.
  14. Valentijn

Valentijn The Diabolic Logic

Their Google+ site only has two followers. One is also in Toronto and works at a company (Cpoint Capital) where he and at least one other employee are also employed by pharmaceutical companies.

WellPilot seems to provide no information about itself, which is dodgy as hell whether or not they're part of Cpoint Capital. They do say that WellPilot is part of Variant Ventures (licensed in Ontario), but again, there's no information about Variant Ventures.

The blogs at WellPilot are written by Simon Smith. There's a Simon Smith in Toronto who works for Klick Health, which is involved in digital marketing. Simon Smith's LinkedIn profile says that he is "responsible for portfolio including 10 pharmaceutical drug brands and cross-brand solutions for one of the world's largest pharmaceutical manufacturers. . . ."

There's a lot of info available regarding Klick Health: "Klick Health is the largest independent digital marketing company in the world, specializing in Health and Biopharma. We are laser focused on creating digital solutions that engage and educate patients, care-givers, and healthcare providers about life-saving treatments."

So there's one definite pharmaceutical link, and likely a couple others. Though the WellPilot twitter looks a lot more insurance-friendly than pharma friendly - natural and lifestyle remedies are often recommended (plus a few pharma retweets) and antibiotics are discouraged.

15. Jonathan Edwards

Reminds me of one or two other threads. Maybe it fits the adage that rather than worrying whether it is a cock-up or a conspiracy most things just turn out to be a cocked-up conspiracy!

Sushi, Valentijn, NK17 and 2 others like this.
  16. misskatniss

Germany
    Interesting info @Valentijn indeed I notice from day to day more how important it is not only to see internet content but always where it comes from and which are the interests. I got on that site as it was one of the first hits in my Google search on sth, don´t recall exactly what. I had kind of the idea that it might be pharmarelated or sth, and programmed by someone who doesn´t have a clue about science in this field: The way to get an overlook picture for real would NOT be an algorithm but a meta-study with very thorough quality criteria.

Anyhow I wrote to him, and guess what, he replied. He wants to make it better, asking me how to do this. Oh dear :cool:

Valentijn and zzz like this.
  17. PDXhausted

PDXhausted Senior Member

NW US
    xchocoholic likes this.
  18. Denise

Denise Senior Member

19. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    That was my impression also, thanks for the link.

20. Jonathan Edwards

See more popular forum discussions.