• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Maximum Methylation and Healing Occurs at 1000mcg Folate

adreno

PR activist
Hi, adreno.

It's true that in otherwise healthy people who have an absolute B12 deficiency, it is possible to treat either orally or sublingually, so long as a high enough dosage is used. However, if a person has ME/CFS, with glutathione depletion and a functional B12 deficiency, I don't believe that oral dosing will work unless a very large dosage is used. Here's why:

When B12 is taken orally, if a person has normal intrinsic factor production, the limit of absorption by the intrinsic factor mechanism for a single dose is about 2 micrograms. However, if larger dosages are taken orally, about 1% will be absorbed by diffusion, without intrinsic factor involvement. So, for example, if 500 micrograms are taken orally, about 5 micrograms will be absorbed apart from the intrinsic factor mechanism. This is enough to treat an otherwise healthy person who has an absolute B12 deficiency, even if it is due to pernicious anemia, which knocks out the intrinsic factor mechanism.

However, if a person has ME/CFS, the amount of B12 that must be put into the blood is of the order of 1,000 micrograms or more per day. So if oral absorption is to be relied upon, the person would have to take about 100,000 micrograms, or 100 milligrams of B12. This is a very big dosage. However, if it is taken sublingually, the fraction absorbed will be much higher, so that something like 2,000 micrograms will do the job.

As I posted on another thread, I think the reason why such a high dosage is needed to treat ME/CFS is that glutathione is depleted. Normally, glutathione increases the affinity for the CblC complementation group, part of the intracellular B12 metabolic pathway, by a factor of over 100. When glutathione is depleted, the affinity drops, and it is necessary to raise the concentration of B12 significantly in order to achieve a high enough rate in the B12 metabolic pathway. This is based on research done in Korea, published only a few months ago.

Best regards,

Rich

Thanks Rich, for clearing this up. I am also very interested in hearing any thoughts you may have on the rat study with folate.

The results seem to go well with what you have said about higher doses of folate not being more effective.

I was surprised to see that methylation actually decreased after the peak dose. Could this explain some of the lab results of people you have seen, indicating that glutathione did not come up with folate "overdoses"?

Rand56

I agree with you on both counts. We don't know the genetics of those rats. But aren't we bypassing this issue, by going straight to ingesting methylfolate?

And yes, if nothing else, the study tells us that there is a bell shaped curve of methylation and neuronal healing when taking folate; that these have a peak, and do not continually increase with dose. I don't know if the same can be said with B12; studies seem to indicate the more the better.

It is also interesting how the drug companies arrived at the dosages for metanx, deplin and cerefolin (6-15mg methylfolate daily). Were these doses just arbitrarily picked? Based on what?

If more isn't better with methylfolate then why the better response rate for depression when taking 15mg compared to only 7.5mg?

adreno

PR activist
If more isn't better with methylfolate then why the better response rate for depression when taking 15mg compared to only 7.5mg?

Yes, that's a good question. However, so far we have only the one study showing benefits only at 15mg.

Here's a study showing 500mcg folate improves the efficacy of the antidepressant fluoxetine:

Enhancement of the antidepressant action of fluoxetine by folic acid: a randomised, placebo controlled trial.
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/10967371/