Professor & patients' paper on the solvable biological challenge of ME/CFS: reader-friendly version
Simon McGrath provides a patient-friendly version of a peer-reviewed paper which highlights some of the most promising biomedical research on ME/CFS ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

"Mast Cells are Important Modifiers of Autoimmune Disease: With so Much Evidence, Why is There..."

Discussion in 'Mast Cell Disorders/Mastocytosis' started by Kyla, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Kyla

Kyla ᴀɴɴɪᴇ ɢꜱᴀᴍᴩᴇʟ

Canada
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3369183/
    (Open access)

This article is from 2012, but doesn't seem to have been discussed here, and personally I had never heard this theory before!

2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member

It doesn't really say anything except that mast cells are one of the cell types that is involved in inflammation - like neutrophils and macrophages. Mast cells have antibody receptors on their surface too, and so will activate when an autoimmune reaction occurs. Nothing the slightest bit new or surprising about that. They get very excited about how important mast cells are in the title and the first few sentences but by the end admit that they are just accessories to the crime. A non-event I fear. These 'Frontiers' journals are not really journals - you pay to be published there and more or less anything gets taken as far as I can see.

3. aquariusgirl

aquariusgirl Senior Member

@Jonathan Edwards, ok, so this article aside, what are you saying? mast cell activation is just one aspect of inflammation.. and shouldn't be seen as a distinct syndrome? thanks.

4. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member

No, I wouldn't want to give that inpression. Certain pathways work particularly through mast cells. IgE interacts with mast cell FcE receptors in a very particular way in asthma and allergy. I have no doubt that mast cells are key players in certain special diseases of that sort. (There is also mastocytosis, about which i know rather little.) What I was not convinced by was that mast cells had a special role in autoimmunity. The IgE mediated response of allergy is to my mind unrelated to autoimmunity.

leokitten and aquariusgirl like this.

See more popular forum discussions.