Phoenix Rising supports the Millions Missing global day of protest
Phoenix Rising is delighted to support the demands being made in the ME/CFS community’s first-ever global day of protest …
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Mast cell med effect on ME symptoms?

Discussion in 'Mast Cell Disorders/Mastocytosis' started by Ravn, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Ravn

Ravn

Anyone out there with a dual diagnosis of a mast cell disorder plus ME who has tried mast cell medication? If so, did the mast cell medication also help ME symptoms? Especially PEM?

2. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Rebel without a biscuit

Ravn likes this.
  3. Ravn

Ravn

Thanks Snowdrop. I did have a look at those threads and there's a lot of info there on MCAS and meds, as you say. And it confirms my personal experience that mast cell meds can be helpful for the classic 'allergy-like' mast cell symptoms: in my case my party trick dermatographia has vanished, and flushing after eating is much reduced.

However, so far I've seen no improvement whatsoever in my classic ME symptoms like the PEM. So am wondering if anybody out there has found their PEM improve as a kind of bonus effect of mast cell meds?

4. ryan31337

ryan31337 Senior Member

South East, England
    When I have MCAS-like reactions from food I tend to get fatigue with and after the flare event. Its subtly different to PEM and has different physical components. Its hard to tell apart unless you are very strict when experimenting on yourself and can isolate, so for many I would think the two would feel inseparable...

Point being its a big mess of problems and symptoms and if you were to help MCAS with meds your overall experience would definitely improve.

Ravn and Manganus like this.
  5. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Rebel without a biscuit

You might want to contact @Gingergrrl as I believe she takes meds for MCAS.

Ravn likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.