Looking Ahead to Change: Little by Little
I don't make New Year's Resolutions. I don't think I ever really did, but the last decade or two would have been enough to stifle that impulse. I've just been too aware that I don't have that much control over what happens in my life.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Mass hysteria may explain 'sonic attacks' in Cuba, say top neurologists

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Londinium, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Londinium

Londinium Senior Member

Continuing the theme of 'if we can't explain it, then the patient is probably hysterical'.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/oct/12/cuba-mass-hysteria-sonic-attacks-neurologists

I seem to recall that the Amercian Psychiatric Association or similar had guidance that doctors shouldn't diagnose people with mental health conditions without examining them (this arose from a debate as to whether medical practioners should opine on whether Trump is suffering from dementia, narcissistic personality disorder etc.). I think this would apply here. If I get a chance tomorrow I might draft a letter to the Grauniad along those lines...

Skycloud, sb4, ladycatlover and 10 others like this.
  2. Londinium

Londinium Senior Member

3. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

These people are so eager to publicly demonstrate their incapacity to reason. Absence of evidence is not evidence for anything.

500 hundred years ago, they would have said this was clearly demonic possession (or whatever was in fashion as ad hoc explanation at the time).

Oh the wonderful power of the mind over the body.

4. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Psychosomatic disease, in any of its reformulations, is a hypothetical disease category that has NEVER been proven. Mass panic has evidence. Mass hysteria does not have credible evidence, and especially not when it involves measurable physiological changes.

Mass hysteria can never be justified from an objective viewpoint.

Unproven sonic attacks are about as justified, that is to say not at all given current evidence.

When you don't know its always better to say you don't know.

5. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

The inquisition was an authoritative movement.

ladycatlover, JohnM, ivorin and 2 others like this.
  6. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    What does Granaud mean? I've seen this in other posts but couldn't figure it out!

7. Large Donner

Large Donner Senior Member

What are the possibilities that Cuba would have a stealth weapon that the US don't. Therefore by default the American authorities denying existence of one used on Americans or evidence for one is proof of nothing. If such a device exists the US probably sold it to regimes all over the world including Cuba.

8. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Anagram of guardian.

ladycatlover and Gingergrrl like this.
  9. Revel

Revel Senior Member

"Grauniad" is a nickname for The Guardian newspaper. It was given this title as a way of poking fun at the numerous spelling mistakes that used to be found in the early morning first editions.

justy, ladycatlover, Hutan and 5 others like this.
  10. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

If we want to engage in evidence-less speculation we might propose that the US does indeed have a sonic weapon and used it on its own diplomats, and has successfully created a diplomatic incident. There is no limit to the extent conspiracy theories could go. Of course they did it by weaponizing electricity generating windmills. As advised to by the underground lizards living in US sewers. You know, the ones who hate the alligators. I still buy this idea more than mass hysteria.

11. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

Typical neurology. This is just so damn predictable. Isn’t Hallett involved with the ME/CFS NIH study?

12. dreampop

dreampop Senior Member

Isn't this guy in the NIH inhouse study?

13. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    OMG, I think you are right and I knew "Hallett" sounded familiar but didn't know why. And agree... Neuro is the worst.

14. Sean

Sean Senior Member

These clowns are a plague upon humanity.

ladycatlover, A.B., Valentijn and 2 others like this.
  15. daisybell

daisybell Senior Member

New Zealand
    Why don’t any of the doctors suggest that they might have all caught a virus? I just don’t get that.

16. Alvin2

Alvin2 If humans were rational...

If you can't find the cause its psychosomatic. How arrogant, to think we have discovered every possible disease, every possible diagnostic test, and every doctor knows exactly what tests to run and nothing ever gets by a doctor.
    I think some humble pie is in order.

Finally i don't think Sonic has caused this condition, its not his MO
    [​IMG]

PhoenixDown, dancer, Orla and 5 others like this.
  17. Luther Blissett

Luther Blissett

Yorkshire, England
    I diagnose a broken fan in the air conditioning system producing infrasound. (Below 20Hz)

Matches symptoms, has a plausible mechanism, and thus won't be investigated.

I can haz high paid consultancy now?

Orla, ladycatlover, Valentijn and 6 others like this.
  18. Luther Blissett

Luther Blissett

Yorkshire, England
    I was half joking, but a sound could be propagated through tube like structures in a building like air conditioning. It's a bit like a pipe organ.

By accident of room layouts, this could create a standing wave of sound not detectable to human hearing.

I've seen figures showing the resonant frequency of the human head to be 20Hz.

I'm crap at biology, but could this not cause things like concussion, middle ear problems, anxiety etc?

Found this diagram and discussion on a physics forum with some linked papers, but don't have the time or energy to look into it much.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/human-body-resonant-frequencies.501607/

Orla and ladycatlover like this.
  19. Hutan

Hutan Kina solidarity

New Zealand
    I can't imagine those diplomats and intelligence officers are going to be thrilled to be labelled hysterics. Perhaps they will have more of a chance of fighting the diagnosis than the usual bunch of young nurses or cheerleaders.

Chrisb, Valentijn, A.B. and 2 others like this.
  20. Mass hysteria, the modern day "witch hunting" bulls*** excuse to stop using REASON.

To whit, our bete noire: Simon Weaselbuttocks and Whitenoise, claimed the Camelford water poisoning disaster was more of an issue and health worry due to "mass hysteria"...yet years later, in court, it was revealed it was a cover up, it was a catastrophic poisoning the British Government ORDERED to be hushed up.

ergo anytime you hear "mass hysteria", it's either because of some grossly unscientific arseholes pretending to be experts...or it's a cover up.

Luther Blissett and Hutan like this.

See more popular forum discussions.