The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Mark Zuckerberg donating 99% of his shares to charity

Discussion in 'Fundraising' started by John Mac, Dec 1, 2015.

1. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

Liverpool UK
    http://www.theverge.com/2015/12/1/9831554/mark-zuckerberg-charity-45-billion

In a surprise announcement today, Mark Zuckerberg and his wife Priscilla Chan have pledged to donate 99 percent of their Facebook shares to the cause of human advancement. That represents roughly $45 billion at Facebook's current valuation, making it one of the largest charitable pledges in history. The details of the donation are still unclear, but the couple has already registered a Facebook page for an organization called the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative.

2. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

I will look forward to more details about this story. I wonder if this has something to do with the fact that the Zuckerbergs just had a baby?

Missed the first citation. It has everything to do with the birth of their daughter. What a legacy!

Barb

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  3. msf

msf Senior Member

When is the question.

barbc56 likes this.
  4. Martial

Martial Senior Member

Ventura, CA
    Wow, that is one humble family.

barbc56 and Gingergrrl like this.
  5. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Good news. It looks like some of it will be spent on health and education along with other projects. But it's a long term project. Results won't be for decades.

MEMum and barbc56 like this.
  6. KonaRose

KonaRose Seaofdiamonds

Hawaii
    Oh, PLEASE let them throw some pennies at ME/CFS/SEID whatever they would like to call this!!!!

snowathlete, MEMum and barbc56 like this.
  7. wdb

wdb Senior Member

London
    SOC, Crux, barbc56 and 2 others like this.
  8. Scotty81

Scotty81

@Cort

Is there any way that you know if the CFS/ME/SEID initiative (and the lack of appropriate funding) can be put in front of the Zuckerbergs so they at least know this need exists? Perhaps something as well from the NIH that acknowledges (at least recently) that there is a desperate need for additional funding?

Regards,
    Scotty81

Ritto and John Mac like this.
  9. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    That's interesting. I hadn't seen the list before. There must be quite a number of billions pledged in that list.

10. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
  11. leela

leela Slow But Hopeful

Couchland, USA
  12. JPV

JPV ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs

It's nothing but a tax dodge.:rolleyes:

john66 likes this.
  13. SOC

SOC

He can have his tax dodge if it's a huge benefit to disadvantaged people. :p

Valentijn and Bob like this.
  14. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    It's not like he's channelling his wealth to dodgy offshore tax-dodging companies. He's donation the money to his foundation for good causes. If you read the techcrunch article, above, he says he will be paying full taxes. But the less tax he pays, the more will go to his foundation.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  15. JPV

JPV ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs

From the NY Times article that @leela posted...

16. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    That NYT article can't decide whether he's tax dodging by investing in good causes, or not tax dodging because he's donating his wealth to a company the follows normal tax codes. The way it's written seems like the author has an agenda.

In any case, Zuckerburg has explained his intentions in the TechCrunch article, and explained that a private company gives him more freedom to manage his capital so he can make his investment capital self-sustaining, and so he can invest in e.g. start-up companies that are pursuing beneficial causes. US non-profits have many stringent restrictions when it comes to making investments and organising capital.

17. SOC

SOC

So he's not just dumping his money in a non-profit over which he has no control. So he's getting PR benefit from this move. So what? Is the public so greedy as to say, "Zuckerberg didn't do everything he could do for us without any benefit to himself! What a pig!"

Zuckerberg and Chan are going more good for other people with their money than thousands of other wealthy people. Where's Mitt Romney's equivalent contribution? Or the Khardashian's? Or that of any number of other excessively wealthy people we could name? Some are generous, most are not.

I'm not looking this gift horse in the mouth.

18. SOC

SOC

That was my impression, too. It reads like the journalist is just drooling to find something, anything to make Chan and Zuckerberg look bad and hasn't really found anything to sink his/her teeth into. I'm not saying Zuckerberg and Chan are perfect people. I really don't know. But this journalist does indeed seem to have an agenda.

Bob likes this.
  19. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
  20. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    Wonder if he's on social media? would follow him on Twitter and suggest he help us out but seems he's not that active on there. What's that other social media site called? Oh yeah, My Space!
    I'll go check that out. Anyone else know where they can contact him, do mention us to him, okay?!

In case my humour does not translate: yes, I have heard of Facebook.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015

See more popular forum discussions.