• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

MAO-A Rs1137070

Peyt

Hi Everyone,
I am +/+ for MAO-A Rs1137070
Can someone explain to me how this gene may can effect my serotonin levels?
I am getting contradictory info .... some sites says it's responsible to break down Serotonin so I would think that if I am +/+ then I must not be able to break down serotonin and thus have Serotonin syndrome (excess) . However, I see on Nutrahacker, the supplement recommended is Curcumin, and when I looked that supplement up, it says that it actually inhibit the enzymatic activity of MOA-A... So I don't get it, why would I want to take Curcumin to inhibit the activity?? Is this one of those genes that when impaired it would actually downgrades too much ??

Can someone please explain to me how this works, and if Curcumin is the best supplement for it?
Thanks
Peyt

Valentijn

Can someone explain to me how this gene may can effect my serotonin levels?
It's a SNP, not a gene. But it is on a gene. And it probably doesn't effect serotonin levels at all. I'm not sure why anyone would mark it as being "+/+" or otherwise risky.
However, I see on Nutrahacker, the supplement recommended is Curcumin, and when I looked that supplement up, it says that it actually inhibit the enzymatic activity of MOA-A..
Nutrahacker is an extremely poor source of information. I'd disregard anything they say.