• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

MAO-A Poll

Do you have the MAO homozigous mutation?

• Total voters

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
This mutation seems very common among people tested, including autists. It might be more important that we thought OR more common than what it was thought previously. I think it could be very important in mental/mood problems.

Valentijn

This mutation seems very common among people tested, including autists. It might be more important that we thought OR more common than what it was thought previously. I think it could be very important in mental/mood problems.
TT is extremely common among all groups.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Yeah so what does it mean? Not a significant mutation? Lots of people have it. I wonder if someone mentally perfect and emotionally balanced would too, want to get the genes of someone like that lol

Valentijn

Yeah so what does it mean? Not a significant mutation? Lots of people have it. I wonder if someone mentally perfect and emotionally balanced would too, want to get the genes of someone like that lol
I think it means that it's unlikely to cause significant problems by itself. If 50-60% of people are walking around without health issues related to it, the impact of that genotype is likely to be quite small.

caledonia

For males, there is only one gene out of the pair, so MAO A + is the same as a female MAO A +/+.

Once again, the gene mutation in and of itself doesn't mean that you're doomed to have mental health problems. There also has to be some sort of environmental stressor (toxins, viruses, prolonged extreme stress or abuse) which causes the gene to be expressed.

So what it means is, given two people with the same environmental factors and one has MAO A and one doesn't, the one with the MAO A is the one likely to have the mental health problem.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Yes caledonia my thoughts exactly. Sadly now and always, stress coming either from society or toxins/viruses has been a very common factor in the lifes of everyone so if you born with MAO in my opinion it will expressed at some point. Wait, if it can be expressed, can it be suppressed? Like becoming very calm and positive? :p

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
So, this mutation its extremely common among us!

How about MAO B? I have that too homozigous. Nice recipe for emotional/mental problems aye.

Having so much mutations I wonder if these are worth to try to correct, but I am curious if thats even possible. How do you improve the neurotransmitter degradation rate to a more "neurotypical" one?

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Now we just need a healthy set of 16 persons that have had 23andme done to compare with the 93.8% of us . Doing research without financial support and academic affiliation is pretty hard! :rofl:

peggy-sue

I can throw a little spanner in the works here.
There is a third MAO enzyme, not just MAO-A and MAO-B, but also one known as "semicarbazide-sensitive amine oxidase".

I know this, because that was the enzyme I was researching when I was last working in pharmacology.

ps. I had to edit to correct a spelling mistook.
Semicarbazide sensitive AO, not semibarbazide. doh.:redface:

Last edited:

Valentijn

Now we just need a healthy set of 16 persons that have had 23andme done to compare with the 93.8% of us . Doing research without financial support and academic affiliation is pretty hard! :rofl:
Or you can just look at the allele prevalence in the general population. For MAOA (rs6323 presumably), 66% of a huge sample of people are homozygous for TT (+/+).

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Or you can just look at the allele prevalence in the general population. For MAOA (rs6323 presumably), 66% of a huge sample of people are homozygous for TT (+/+).
Cool. I suspect that the importance of MAO A R297R is derived from having it combined with other mutations affecting the neurotransmitters and the HPA axis.

allyb

I am homozygous for MAO but have never suffered from mental or mood problems..............thankfully and I am grateful everyday that despite that severe level of illness and disability that I encounter since my sudden onset; that I do not also bear the burden of depression. I do know that this could all change with the deterioration of brain chemistry and activity through inflammation, cell death and a whole host of other consequential effects of a multisystem disease. But up to now I don't seem to have been genetically predisposed to it despite having lived a far from charmed life.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Lucky you allyb. We have to understand here that just one SNP is unlikely to have a huge effect. The trick is gathering a host of SNP´s in the same gene that have been shown to be involved with x ailment, in this case, neurotransmitter problems. In fact Valentijn is right when she suspects of Yasko for fear mongering because of just ONE and pretty common MAOA SNP. To do a more legit research we need various snps, because then the effect can be cumulative and if you have various mutations in the same gene THEN that is significant. So I am updating this thread with more MAO A snps for those that might want to dig deeper.

Plus, MAOA is more related with anger than with depression. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23111930?dopt=Abstract Basically MAOA is the gene that makes you get furious at someone when he gets offensive or stay calm and think of what to do. MAOA mutants are more reactive than reflexive, so is normal to have it related with violence or suicide. I can see big time how my father gave me the MAO A and B mutated genes, he has a hard time with reactivity.

Last edited:

Kimsie

I think that it is significant depending on your other mutations. For instance, my husband does not have it and he does have singles on the COMT mutations, so he gets rid of serotonin more easily than dopamine, plus he may have higher rates of the enzyme because it also gets rid of dopamine along with serotonin. I think this is why he has always had a slight tendency toward depression. Now he is taking 5-htp (because he also has one copy of MTHFR 1298 which may cause him to make less BH4, and BH4 is used to make serotonin) and his mood is improved. My daughter in law is the exact opposite, and she has problems with not having enough dopamine. I have single mutations in all of them and I appear to be balanced (I hope!). I am sure that other mutations come into play, here, too.