• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

MAO-A and serotonin circadian rhythm

Gondwanaland

Most days I suffer from dimmed vision around 6PM and I believe it is due to my +/+MAO-A

While I was on a SSRI it disappeared, but now that I have ditched it this annoying symptoms is haunting me again, although much milder than ever, I believe that taking T3 helps

I am looking for a supplement suggestion for this problem: dimmed vision at 6 PM
electrolytes? potassium? sodium bicarbonate?

My husband seems to solve all his problems with coca-cola :rolleyes: (carbonation?)

If I could juggle with methylation right now I know it would be the solution, but I can't essentialy due to high uric acid from methylfolate. MB12 by itself has been causing me fatigue (lack of folate). I think folate deficiency is at the core of my problems, but I haven't figured out yet how to avoid the uric acid increase.

Magnesium oxide helped a lot in the past year to bring uric acid back to harmless levels, but I can't take it on its own forever without messing with the other electrolytes

GhostGum

My vision also goes bad around dusk and has done for years, I am +/+MAO-A

High uric acid might also explain my intolerance to methylfolate? It really makes me feel terrible, although as my methylation treatment keeps progressing I am slowly adding it and it seems ok.

What SSRI did you use? Negatives outweigh the positives?

Sorry I can not help with your question, and am just asking more questions ;)

Gondwanaland

My vision also goes bad around dusk and has done for years, I am +/+MAO-A
I hate that symptom!
High uric acid might also explain my intolerance to methylfolate?
Yes, you can see in the link in my signature "uric acid" there is a chart showing that folate increases purines, which are turned into uric acid by B2.
It really makes me feel terrible, although as my methylation treatment keeps progressing I am slowly adding it and it seems ok.
That is good to know, so I won't give up then. Cna you share some things that help you to progress?
What SSRI did you use? Negatives outweigh the positives?
I was using citalopram. I had to take it one week after starting levothyroxine, which did nothing for me. Now that I switched to compounded T3/T4 the SSRI stopped helping and was hindering my T3 absorption.

GhostGum

@Gondwanaland B12 (transdermal) with little to no methylfolate seems to have worked for me and continues to do so, but am a good 16-18 months in now and still a way to go. Use extra B3 and B4, take a b complex every couple of days, electrolyte powder, ribose, alcar, resveratrol (SOD1 +/+), cod liver oil, Vit D.

Every time I have tried to take a regular/daily methylfolate dose it has just been terrible, 800mcg a day for 3-4 days and I get excess heat/flushing to the point of small psoriasis outbreak, lowered mood and more tiredness than usual. Doing like 400mcg every second day at this point and it seems ok. I am DHFR +/+ as well, so maybe this also has something to do with my folate issues, since it is involved in utilizing folate, but I have not looked into it further.

I have just stuck with reliable supplements for a good 5-6 years and gradually I think it has paid off. I believe now though my issues have been genetic more so than viral/autoimmune, given my SNP's, so at least I am on solid ground at this point.

Gondwanaland

Use extra B3 and B4, take a b complex every couple of days, electrolyte powder, ribose, alcar, resveratrol (SOD1 +/+), cod liver oil, Vit D.
I am intolerant to several of those, possibly due to viral involvement.

By B4 you mean nicotinamide? Niacin does not seem to raise uric acid for me but nicotinamide does.

Doing like 400mcg every second day at this point and it seems ok.
Sounds like a good approach.

Thanks for sharing!

GhostGum

I am intolerant to several of those, possibly due to viral involvement.

By B4 you mean nicotinamide? Niacin does not seem to raise uric acid for me but nicotinamide does.

Sounds like a good approach.

Thanks for sharing!

Sorry my bad, I take extra B2 and B3, not 4.

Gondwanaland

Are you all talking about snowy vision? Acetycholine should help with that. Any progress here since last year?
This was 2 years ago... I don't have this problem anymore! I will have to read through my journal to see what helped...
I guess it was related with serotonin breakdown for melatonin production. I think my serotonin was too low due to low estrogen. I have been on estrogen replacement for 6 months now, but I don't know if this problem resolved before or after it.

Gondwanaland

Any progress here since last year?
What really helped me back in Dec 2015 with vision probs and brain fog was upping my dietary carb intake to at least 150 g and what seemed to be the most important was adding 1/2 tsp of fresh oregano leaves to my evening meal daily. Above all it seemed to improve digestion.

Last edited: