• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Maltodextrin

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3520894/
These findings demonstrate that the ubiquitous dietary component MDX enhances E. coli adhesion and suggests a mechanism by which Western diets rich in specific polysaccharides may promote dysbiosis of gut microbes and contribute to disease susceptibility.

PLoS One. 2012;
Crohn's Disease-Associated Adherent-Invasive Escherichia coli Adhesion Is Enhanced by Exposure to the Ubiquitous Dietary Polysaccharide Maltodextrin

Another striking change in the microbiota of CD patients is in the spatial organization of the microbiome. In healthy individuals, the microbiota is separated from direct contact with the intestinal epithelium, while in CD patients gut bacteria form a dense biofilm structure in intimate proximity with the epithelium

=================================================

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4084946/
These findings indicate that consumption of processed foods containing the polysaccharide MDX contributes to suppression of intestinal anti-microbial defense mechanisms and may be an environmental priming factor for the development of chronic inflammatory disease.

PLoS One. 2014
The Dietary Polysaccharide Maltodextrin Promotes Salmonella Survival and Mucosal Colonization in Mice

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
I think from experience that it might very well be worse for gut dysbiosis than sucrose - even as fuel for the bad microbes.

picante

Maltodextrin can be neurotoxic to me, so I avoid it. It is sometimes used as a supplement filler.
It's the glutamic acid that's neurotoxic:
"When MSG is used as a processing aid, it is not required by the FDA to be declared on the label. MSG is in hydrolyzed animal, vegetable (textured vegetable protein TVP), and milk protein. Calcium and sodium cassinate are by-products of hydrolyzed milk products. It is found in maltodextrin from processed corn and cornstarch."
http://www.edenfoods.com/articles/view.php?articles_id=207

GracieJ

Corn derivatives = GMO. Maltodextrin, MSG, among others. One of the toughest things I have been up against was the development of corn allergy. It took ten months to completely identify all additives in my supplements and find safe alternatives. I lived with a poison-ivy-like rash and facial and arm swelling on and off through that time period. The rash burned, stung, itched, and ached all at the same time. I have wondered what else was going on in my body from this. Printed out, the corn derivative list is three pages long.

This does not surprise me at all, and now I am aware of it, I will be looking at it closely. Dysbiosis is one malady I have not been able to correct or lessen. Probiotics leave me with bad stomaches. Fermented cabbage water, diluted, has been the only thing tolerated. This answers some questions.