The 12th Invest in ME Conference, Part 1
OverTheHills presents the first article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME international Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Maltodextrin

Discussion in 'The Gut: De Meirleir & Maes; H2S; Leaky Gut' started by Sherlock, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Sherlock

Sherlock tart cherry etc. for joints, insomnia

Czechosherlockia, USA
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3520894/
    PLoS One. 2012;
    Crohn's Disease-Associated Adherent-Invasive Escherichia coli Adhesion Is Enhanced by Exposure to the Ubiquitous Dietary Polysaccharide Maltodextrin

=================================================

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4084946/
    PLoS One. 2014
    The Dietary Polysaccharide Maltodextrin Promotes Salmonella Survival and Mucosal Colonization in Mice

2. melamine

melamine Senior Member

Upstate NY
    Maltodextrin can be neurotoxic to me, so I avoid it. It is sometimes used as a supplement filler.

3. Sherlock

Sherlock tart cherry etc. for joints, insomnia

Czechosherlockia, USA
    I think from experience that it might very well be worse for gut dysbiosis than sucrose - even as fuel for the bad microbes.

4. picante

picante Senior Member

Helena, MT USA
    It's the glutamic acid that's neurotoxic:
    "When MSG is used as a processing aid, it is not required by the FDA to be declared on the label. MSG is in hydrolyzed animal, vegetable (textured vegetable protein TVP), and milk protein. Calcium and sodium cassinate are by-products of hydrolyzed milk products. It is found in maltodextrin from processed corn and cornstarch."
    http://www.edenfoods.com/articles/view.php?articles_id=207

Gondwanaland and melamine like this.
  5. GracieJ

GracieJ Senior Member

Utah
    Corn derivatives = GMO. Maltodextrin, MSG, among others. One of the toughest things I have been up against was the development of corn allergy. It took ten months to completely identify all additives in my supplements and find safe alternatives. I lived with a poison-ivy-like rash and facial and arm swelling on and off through that time period. The rash burned, stung, itched, and ached all at the same time. I have wondered what else was going on in my body from this. Printed out, the corn derivative list is three pages long.

This does not surprise me at all, and now I am aware of it, I will be looking at it closely. Dysbiosis is one malady I have not been able to correct or lessen. Probiotics leave me with bad stomaches. Fermented cabbage water, diluted, has been the only thing tolerated. This answers some questions.

melamine and Gondwanaland like this.

See more popular forum discussions.