• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Malic acid

Hey,

Is anyone taking malic acid? What are your experiences with it? What dosage are you on?

Thanks,
Autumn

*GG*

I take it as a tablet via Source Naturals as a combo, not certain of the actual dosage you get from that!

GG

I think a lot of people take it as a combo with magnesium, as magnesium malate.
Someone suggest I just try a malic acid supplement. As she has fibro and thought it worked for her. Lessened a lot of her pain and fatigue symptoms

Autumn

Thanks for the link @ahmo , I will try and read up on it. Seems complicated though ;-)

Other experiences? Anyone?

Thanks,
Autumn

Yes, I'm kind of worried about the effect on sleep as my sleep isn't great as it is.
I'll just start of with 1 tablet (600mg) in the morning and see how I go.
What dosage were you on?

LisaGoddard

Hi, I use malic acid from Viridian 500mg (one capsule) which I take in the morning. It really helps my energy levels. Interestingly I have always craved sour candies and salt and vinegar chips - both of which are high in malic acid.

I tried taking two or three capsules but experienced an extreme energy burst followed by a partial crash. I had to find a level which provided me with useful energy. I have trouble sleeping but didn't notice any difference with the malic acid even when I was taking higher levels.

I've read it is good for fibro sufferers but very little is said for ME patients so I wondered why it helped me. But it does. Hope others benefit too!

I'm on week 3 of using malic acid.
Week 1: 600 mg at breakfast
Week 2: 1200 mg at breakfast
I kind of feel awful but don't know if it has anything to do with the malic acid.
In week one I sort of had more energy, a rather nervous energy. My sleep's been worse. And instead of less pain, I have more pain. I'm not sure if I'm having a crash or if malic acid really isn't my thing
Anyone have a similar experience?
I'm thinking about quitting and maybe try magnesium malate, instead of just malic acid
Any suggestions?

Thanks

Grigor

My sleep is also worse since I take it for a few days.
Plus my IBS flares because my intestines feel acid. Knocks me out in the morning.
But it does make me more relaxed.... Ugh

slysaint

I eat apples and pears that are good sources of malic acid; hence the saying an apple a day.......

Grigor

I eat apples and pears that are good sources of malic acid; hence the saying an apple a day.......
Haha. Yeah can't eat too much fruit. Fructose malabsorption. And also apples give me stomach trouble. Might be linked.
Weird though cause tried the Magnesium Malate before.