Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Malaise - How do you deal with it?

Discussion in 'Post-Exertional Malaise, Fatigue, and Crashes' started by drewf2, Dec 3, 2017.

1. drewf2

drewf2

I am a new member here although I have been on these forums a lot over the years I decided to finally sign up! I have had CFS symptoms for around 15 years now, It started when I was 21. 4 months ago I had a major virus, not exactly sure what it was, It was believed to be Ross river virus (mosquito virus) along with vertigo and it totally dropped me even further down than I already was. Since then I have developed worsening fatigue, depression and anxiety but the main symptom i find extremely hard to deal with is malaise.

Typically if I push too hard or have a stressful period of time now I get malaise for about 7 days, it's best described for me as a flu without the flu symptoms, an uncomfortable feeling, a sick almost poisoned feeling that cannot be pinpointed to anywhere on the body in particular. I can deal with fatigue, depression and anxiety but the malaise is really hard to handle and really pushes me mentally to the point of despair.

Malaise seems to be unique to each person but I was just interested to know if anyone has any methods of how to deal with it? and what has worked for others to lessen the feeling or shorten how long it lasts? Mine does not seem to respond to any treatment I have tried so far it just randomly settles down after a week or so. Any info would be much appreciated.

2. Dechi

Dechi Senior Member

I am sorry you’re not feeling well. Is what you call malaise actually PEM (post-exertional malaise?)

The only recipe to treat PEM is aggressive rest. Do you still train ? If so, training, in any form whatsoever, will just further exacerbate your PEM. How much do you rest ?

andyguitar likes this.
  3. Mary

Mary Senior Member

Southern California
    I don't know if you have post-exertional malaise (PEM), the hallmark of ME/CFS. It can occur in response to physical, mental or emotional exertion. For me it takes the form of being completely wiped out, feeling like I've been hit by a truck and the only remedy is to do nothing until it passes. However there are some supplements which can potentially help lessen the duration and maybe severity. See this thread: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...ce-pem-post-exertional-malaise-crashes.48438/

Branched chain amino acids cut my PEM recovery time in half. I've been taking them for about 3 years now. I take them daily. I'm going to be experimenting with cumin seeds, as described in this thread: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/possible-pem-blocker.56232/

Your malaise sounds very similar to detox reactions I would have, generally in response to a supplement or food which had "cleansing" properties. Toxins would get mobilized and circulate through my body and then just resettle. It happened over and over again. and my symptoms were fatigue, feeling poisoned, digestion would be off - felt like crap. I eventually seemed to get my detox pathways working properly with the use of glycine, inositol and glutamine. I think a big issue for me was mercury and also some chemical solvents I had been exposed to years ago.

But your malaise occurs in response to exertion, physical and mental, so it may be a different form of PEM. You might try some of the PEM busters and see if they help.

Learner1 likes this.
  4. drewf2

drewf2

It's actually hard to say, i have low level malaise all the time now since this virus so I've had to reduce physical activity to just going for a short run at a maximum otherwise I'll get it back but it also happens after a flu or illness or even after a stressful period and always last around a week until it settles. I've always pushed through fatigue but when I have the malaise I won't do anything strenuous until it subsides. The malaise isn't always tied to fatigue, a lot of the time I will not be extremely fatigued when I have it.

Dechi and *GG* like this.
  5. drewf2

drewf2

That's interesting because I have experienced Herx reactions to many things that I didn't think would give me a reaction and this could quite well be happening from something I am taking! also my liver bilirubin levels are always sky high, doctors say Gilberts but I am not convinced so it could also be detox pathways as you say. Luckily enough my hair tests show no heavy metals surprisingly because I was a boilermaker welder for years. Thanks for the info on these threads I will look into them, I will give BCAA's a go and see if it works, glutamine I have had a good response from in the past also. I think I tried to return to physical activity too soon, Ross River Virus can affect regular healthy people for 6 months or more so I was always going to be much worse and take a longer recovery time. My problem is I had a protocol that worked fine for my previous state and got me through the day, since the virus that protocol is no longer working and causing this malaise so I have to re design a new one!

Mary likes this.
  6. Mary

Mary Senior Member

Southern California
    1. @drewf2 - I hope those things help you. FWIW, the glycine hit me like a truck -it caused a very strong detox reaction and I found I had to take it in small doses initially. I was taking it for sleep. I was also taking inositol for sleep but it did not hit me as hard. Anyways, eventually the detox reaction stopped happening and I realized I was no longer detoxing at the drop of a hat, and then read that those 3 amino acids were necessary for phase II liver detoxification. https://www.diagnose-me.com/treatment/liver-detoxification-phase-II-support.php
    good luck! (I don't know how the above formatting happened, but can't undo it :confused:)

7. *GG*

*GG* Senior Member

Concord, NH
    No novice to this site or the illness. Chat me up if you want via Conversation. I don't talk much about all I can do with this illness, still lots I cannot do, I have medical documentation that I share freely to the nay sayers who think I don't have ME/CFS!

GG

8. hellytheelephant

hellytheelephant Senior Member

S W England
    Hi
    Malaise is one of my symptoms too. I have not found any treatment other than bed rest that works, but I do suggest pacing, which is not a cure but a means of using the energy you do have over longer periods. If you are regularly 'crashing' yourself it means you are perpetually beyond your means, which over time can reduce your overall level of ability ie. you get worse overall. Once you have worked out what level of function you are then ideally you will plan your time accordingly...although there will always be things that are outside your control.

This is a very good site for info and they also do an online course you can do as part of a virtual group to learn more about it.

The course: http://www.cfidsselfhelp.org/online-courses/introductory-self-help-course
    Article on pacing: http://www.cfidsselfhelp.org/library/how-i-use-pacing-manage-cfs

hope this is of help

Helly

9. drewf2

drewf2

Sounds interesting, I find when i keep busy I can push the malaise feeling out until it gets too overwhelming and I have to stop. The idea of pacing sounds like something I should try.

See more popular forum discussions.