• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Making methylfolate more effective.

SJB944

I'm on a version of Fred's protocol and finding increasing need for methyfolate. I take about 11mg a day broken up in 7 lots. Is there anything that makes methylfolate more effective/potent?

Is anyone taking larger amounts of methylfolate?

Martial

You need the right form, what brand and type of methyl folate are you taking? beyond that most people try and seek improvement by using it sublingually, taking the powder out or using the capsule/pill under the tongue. 11mg is more then enough if it is the correct brand though! Just be sure to watch for any possible methyl trappers and make the b12's consistent as well!

Also watch for low potassium most importantly!

pela

There was a thread a while back about too much of the other B vits causing an increased need for folate. Are you taking a B combo and if so does it contain high doses, like 100 mg of B1?

SJB944

Thanks guys,

I use Metafolin, via Solgar. Yeah have both b12's in (5mg of each) and Potassium. Will try taking it sublingually see what difference that makes. As for other B's only taking B1, B2 and B3 at this point and at low dosages - 5-10mg twice a daily. (Have been down the whole b-complex route previously).

Recently introduced Sam-e at about 25mg, this seems to have increased need for Methylfolate.

@Martial What sort of methyl trappers are you refering to?

Martial

Sounds like you are well covered then, keep in mind that if you actually NEED potassium that means the methylation supplements are doing their job. Why feel the need to make the methyl folate more effective? Is it not doing the job as of now? what are your symptoms on the protocol as of now? Do you have an increasingly large need for potassium or does hypokalemia symptoms not seem to occur?

Methyl trappers via. Fred's protocol are Folic acid (supplemental and food added) so breads, cereals, protein bars, certain muti vitamins, etc.. Folinic Acid as a supplement, and if you eat a LOT of veggies then you may have an increased need for methyl folate as it can block absorption a bit, Glutathione supplements, Whey Protein powder, and NAC. These all act as methyl trap and bring out paradoxical folate deficiency.

SJB944

Yeah have all the methyl trappers covered. Yep have have onset hypokalemia symptoms at different times, but keep under control with potassium. It shifts and changes.

If I increase l-carnitine, from 30 drops in morning and 15 drops evening,any energy disappears, get potassium and after a couple of days, methylfolate deficiency symptoms.

It seems each new thing I add tends to bring on methyfolate deficiency symptoms -- not 100% sure yet, it's a complicated beast. Only way to test is increase methyfolate and see what happens, was just thinking I was already taking a decent amount already. The sublingual is a good tip, thanks..

whodathunkit

@SJB944: I think things will shift around for a while. I was getting paradoxical insuffiicency with every new thing I did for a while, too, and upping methylfolate to a sufficient level solved that. I'm taking fairly large doses of methylfolate at the moment and doing fine. I'm trying to work on some particular problems that may specifically benefit from folate or I probably would have ramped my dose down already. But I did very well increasing it until my symptoms stopped, and then leaving it a that level. FWIW I'm pretty stable now that I've learned the protocol a little better and have learned to listen to my bod as it's dealing with these supps. I'll try ramping down eventually but still experimenting at the moment.

Good luck. It sounds like you're on a good track.

Just curious: how long have you been on the protocol?

SJB944

@whodathunkit Been on protocol, or various versions of it, for about 4 years -- only recently have I had some significant positive changes -- been able to walk about 2klms for the first time in about 15 years.

It's a slow, often, confusing grind, with many dead ends, but it is all a learning process...as is life.

whodathunkit

@whodathunkit Been on protocol, or various versions of it, for about 4 years -- only recently have I had some significant positive changes -- been able to walk about 2klms for the first time in about 15 years.

It's a slow, often, confusing grind, with many dead ends, but it is all a learning process...as is life.
^^This. :D

And good for you with your progress. That's totally awesome and I'm really glad to hear it! :D