1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and the Magic of the Canine Factor
There's been plenty of research indicating that having pets is good for your health. I never really noticed any particular benefits to having cats, though that may have had more to do with my cats. They've been fairly indifferent to my presence and we've shared a live-and-let-live...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Make Room on Your Calendar 20 Dec for the Live Webcast of the FDA Ampligen Hearing

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising Articles' started by Phoenix Rising Team, Dec 18, 2012.

  1. Phoenix Rising Team

    Phoenix Rising Team

    Messages:
    649
    Likes:
    993
    View the Post on the Blog
    JustJack, taniaaust1 and Sasha like this.
  2. Sasha

    Sasha Fine, thank you

    Messages:
    7,428
    Likes:
    5,281
    UK
    Typo in the first line there - that should be 8am to 5pm.

    In the UK, that's 1pm to 10pm.
  3. wdb

    wdb Admin

    Messages:
    795
    Likes:
    538
    London
    Thanks Sasha
  4. urbantravels

    urbantravels disjecta membra

    Messages:
    1,333
    Likes:
    505
    Los Angeles, CA
    On the West Coast, that's 5 AM to 2 PM (sigh). This time difference thing is quite annoying.
  5. Purple

    Purple Bundle of purpliness

    Messages:
    1,302
    Likes:
    2,043
    You can use Time Zone Converter to find out the time of this where you live: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

    Other places:
    Japan (Tokyo) - start 10pm (end 21st at 7am)
    New Zealand (Auckland) - start 21st at 2am (end 21st 11am)
    Australia - Sydney, Melbourne - start midnight 20/21st (end 21st 9am)
    Europe - start 2pm (end 11pm)
  6. Cort

    Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

    Messages:
    7,025
    Likes:
    428
    Raleigh, NC
  7. SirArthur

    SirArthur

    Messages:
    11
    Likes:
    2
    Excellent overview Cort, will be following this closely come Thursday.
    I know Dr. Kogelnik (as a patient, seen him a few times) and hope his 50% guesstimation of Ampligen FDA approval is on the low side.
  8. Cort

    Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

    Messages:
    7,025
    Likes:
    428
    Raleigh, NC
    I'm afraid the FDA background report for the committee released yesterday was very critical and does not bode well for Ampligen's approval.. Ampligens stock dropped almost 50% when it was released...Its going to be rough.
  9. Sasha

    Sasha Fine, thank you

    Messages:
    7,428
    Likes:
    5,281
    UK
    Oh... well, good to know the situation.
  10. JustJack

    JustJack put on yer dancin' shoes

    Messages:
    53
    Likes:
    2
    Sacramento CA
    CONCLUSION from FDA prelim review
    "In summary, CFS is a serious, life threatening and unmet medical need. There are currently no FDA approved products specifically for the treatment of CFS. Ampligen has the potential to be a positive therapeutic option for patients with CFS who do not have an alternative to directly treat the condition. Given the overwhelming physical and cognitive health issues; the decrease in activities of daily living and overall lack of quality of life associated with CFS, Ampligen clearly represents a clinically meaningful advance for a significant unmet medical need, and the weight of evidence supports FDA goals to advance treatment for chronically ill patients with severe debilitating, life threatening, conditions such as severe CFS.
    It can be stated that the burden of the symptoms associated with CFS is greater than any risks associated with Ampligen, since a CFS sufferer’s life may be at risk for years of debilitation often followed by premature death."
    taniaaust1 likes this.
  11. mezombie

    mezombie Senior Member

    Messages:
    324
    Likes:
    19
    East Coast city, USA
    Here's a good article that puts the FDA report in context. As the writer states,

    "The problems facing Ampligen-or any putative therapy for CFS for that matter, is that the underlying cause(s) are unknown. As a result, there are quite possibly distinct sub-groups within any potential CFS study population with markedly distinct pathophysiologies, and hence efficacy measures would need to be tailored to the sub-group.

    "Ampligen's trials had no way to account for this meta-population problem beyond looking for interesting trends within the data set. And that is what they did. In the briefing documents, the FDA referred to these statistical tests as a means for "hypothesis generating", not efficacy testing. As you can see this is a circular argument. No one seems to know what an appropriate biomarker for the general CFS population is, but the FDA is holding Ampligen up to an unrealistic standard nonetheless. In the end, HEB did find statistical support that Ampligen provides a biologically meaningful impact on the lives of at least some patients with CFS."

    and

    "Hemispherx is thus being penalized for the scientific community's willful ignorance on CFS for decades, and not being rewarded for taking a major risk of pushing Ampligen through clinical trials."


    http://seekingalpha.com/article/1072481-hemispherx-faces-fda-day
  12. dannybex

    dannybex Senior Member

    Messages:
    2,135
    Likes:
    497
    Seattle
    Actually, if you'll read the FDA document that was released yesterday, it's clear that the exact opposite it true.

    Hemispherx refused to comply to the FDA's 2009 request for a new, larger and longer trial, and instead manipulated the results from two earlier trials. They're pissed at the way the Hemispherx may have withheld information about adverse effects, removed like 20 or so patients from the original analysis to make the outcomes look better, etc..

    If it isn't approved, I wouldn't blame the FDA, but instead ask Hemispherx why they didn't comply with the FDA's 2009 requests? Hopefully they'll be asked these questions tomorrow.

    Here's a link to the FDA's analysis -- it doesn't look good at all -- and although this document is like 600 pages, just reading and skimming from about page 15 to page 30 will make it clear that they're not pleased with Hemispherx at all.

    http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Adviso...rugs/ArthritisAdvisoryCommittee/UCM332514.pdf
  13. satoshikasumi

    satoshikasumi Senior Member

    Messages:
    113
    Likes:
    121
    Here's the problem. They ran out of money.

    The first Ampligen trials were in 1988. Ampligen should have been fast-tracked approved in 1998 for this devastating orphan disease.

    Hemispherx was the only company that took a gamble on us. Like a lawsuit that drags on for years until one of the litigants is finally bankrupt, the FDA has slowly waged a war of attrition against Ampligen over nearly 25 years, in concert with agencies like the CDC led by Bill Reeves who aggressively promoted CBT/GET despite ANY lack of evidence they objectively improve function or help anyone.
    taniaaust1 likes this.
  14. satoshikasumi

    satoshikasumi Senior Member

    Messages:
    113
    Likes:
    121
    Also, the definition of "statistically significant" in science is arbitrary, defined as a p<0.05

    The initial Ampligen results are called "insignificant" by the FDA because they had a p=0.10.

    What this actually means is that there is a 10% chance the results are explained by chance, and a 90% chance Ampligen is effective.

    That is not good enough for most clinical trials, but FDA should make an exception and grant PROVISIONAL APPROVAL because ME/CFS patients have no other prospects and Hemispherx had to go into this blind with no idea how to measure outcomes. The company should be rewarded because they took a risk and found something that very likely helps some people. :)
    taniaaust1 likes this.
  15. Cort

    Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

    Messages:
    7,025
    Likes:
    428
    Raleigh, NC
    Its a complex situation..the FDA report was harsh but the committee looks good....I just met with a Hemispherx rep who appears confident they can respond well to the FDA's challenges...Check out the latest on the Ampligen situation in

    Harsh Report...Good Committee: Which Way Ampligen?
  16. Cort

    Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

    Messages:
    7,025
    Likes:
    428
    Raleigh, NC
  17. Sasha

    Sasha Fine, thank you

    Messages:
    7,428
    Likes:
    5,281
    UK
  18. Cort

    Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

    Messages:
    7,025
    Likes:
    428
    Raleigh, NC
    Thanks Sasha...Carter and Strayer presenting a strong case...
  19. waiting

    waiting Senior Member

    Messages:
    194
    Likes:
    219
    Hi Cort -- thank you so much for your tweeting -- can you see if PFL members are there -- will they be speaking about the primary endpoint exercise test?

    Thanks!
  20. Cort

    Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

    Messages:
    7,025
    Likes:
    428
    Raleigh, NC
    Dr. Snell is here! I thought he was going to speak in the first section but he didn't. The Hemispherx team did run long; it may be that he lost his slot but we'll see...he's their ace on exercise testing -which the committee does not know much about.

    One of the discussion questions specifically refers to ETT I believe -so I think he will get his chance...

See more popular forum discussions.

Share This Page