Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Major Shift in Understanding How Eczema Develops (God Bless these Scientists!)

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by guest, Dec 19, 2010.

1. guest

guest Guest

Now this is some very interesting news. I remembered when someone on the LEF board told me that there probably is a connection between eczema, leaky gut as well as a permeable BBB. The malfunctioning in all these conditions seems to be based on a similar mechanism and as that person told me is connected to each other. In all three conditions the tight junctions seem to malfunction. Here we have a new study that at least confirms that eczema is a disease where permeability of the skin (tight junctions) is the cause.

Manipulating permeability could be a key factor to many diseases as well as their treatment.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/12/101217145920.htm

2. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Fascinating stuff Diesel - love to hear those pistons pumping. Love the connection with the gut. It makes me wonder about the blood:brain barrier as well - another area that has to maintain the right kind of permeability. It sounds like a whole new realm of research.

This seems so much like the gut;

3. guest

guest Guest

So true. The puzzle starts piecing together. It's just a matter of time.

4. Glynis Steele

Glynis Steele Senior Member

Newcastle upon Tyne UK
    And don't forget that d-lactic acid crosses the bbb, and causes symptoms very similar to CFS, severe lethargy, changes in gait, slurred speech, or difficulty in speaking, hyperventilation, confusion, disorientation, dizziness, the feeling of being drunk without having had a drink, headaches, jaw clenching, carb craving and irritability.

BW

Glynis

5. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

I love how this has applications to other parts of the body......Thanks Glynnis......that is a scary list of symptoms.

I guess the causative agent of these symptoms is...the inflammation that develops???

6. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
  7. Mark

Mark Former CEO

Sofa, UK
    I find this very exciting as well: for me personally it fits very well with a theory I've had for ages about my own illness. One of my major symptoms is skin irritation/sensitivity without rash, and the way that works in practice is pretty bizarre, but without going into details now I've long believed that there has to be some sub-cutaneous protective barrier that is broken in me and that allows certain types of chemicals/pathogens to pass straight through and get inside when they normally couldn't. My other major symptom is IBS (these are the two things I'm left with, as sensitivities, after dramatically improving everything else while on the methylation block-clearing protocol) so...I would be surprised if my tight junctions are intact...

The interesting clue I have on this is a singular event around about the time of onset (also around the time when I started getting weird cold sweats at night) which I've recently read described in just the same terms I would describe it on a site for "Morgellon's Disease". I stayed overnight at a friend's house, and had a horrific night of itching in the bed I slept in. It was similar, but different, to the type of itching I have permanently now whenever my skin touches new clothing, bedding, soft seating, etc. In this one-off onset event, it felt like millions of minute insects or microbes were crawling around under my skin: first, gradually, in patches, but accelerating and seemingly a cascade reaction which felt like it was spreading throughout my whole body. It really did feel like there was something living, insect-like...moving...so I reckon I can relate to where that part of the Morgellon's description comes from...though that's just what it feels like of course, and attributing it to a living parasite is a leap, and an assumption. "They" call the Morgellon's phenomenon "delusional parasitosis" of course, on the basis that it must be a delusion because "they" can't see anything...hmmm...who's really deluded here?...

8. guest

guest Guest

ScienceDaily (Feb. 9, 2011) — So-called barrier sites -- the skin, gut, lung -- limit the inner body's exposure to allergens, pollutants, viruses, bacteria, and parasites. Understanding how the immune system works in these external surfaces has implications for understanding such inflammatory diseases as asthma, psoriasis, IBD, and food allergies, all of which occur at the body's barriers.
    David Artis, PhD, professor of Microbiology at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, and Gregory F. Sonnenberg, a predoctoral fellow in the Artis lab, have identified an immune cell population that acts as the body's border patrol with the outside world. They discovered that these lymphoid tissue inducer cells maintain immunity in the intestine of mice. The research appeared in the most recent online issue of Immunity.
    Following infection by Citrobacter rodentium -- a model of human E. coli infection in the gut -- this cell population was the dominant source of IL-22, a molecule that helps in the immune response during the early phases of infection. When the inducer cells were eliminated from the intestine of the experimental mice, immunity was impaired, affecting the production of anti-microbial proteins required to fight infection. The mice eventually died.
    This discovery could also represent a new line of research for HIV/AIDS, says Artis, since there is a breakdown of barrier immunity in the gut (a reservoir for HIV) that can lead to full blown AIDS. Therapeutics to target such immune cells could be an important new way to combat AIDS.

The research was funded by the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, the Burroughs Welcome Fund, and the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America.

See more popular forum discussions.