1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
9th Invest in ME International ME Conference, 2014 - Part 1: Autoimmunity and ME
Mark Berry begins a series of articles on the 9th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London, with a look at three presentations on autoimmunity
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Major Move From FDA Puts Ampligen Back on Track

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising Articles' started by Phoenix Rising Team, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Phoenix Rising Team

Phoenix Rising Team

View the Post on the Blog
    Enid, CJB, Valentijn and 2 others like this.
  2. justinreilly

justinreilly Stop the IoM & P2P! Adopt CCC!

NYC (& RI)
    Awesome!

I bet our recent emails to FDA helped in part to motivate this positive decision. Sometimes it feels like we're banging our head against the wall with advocacy, at least to me, but I think this shows that our efforts will make a real, positive difference to millions of pwME in the coming years. Great job everyone! Let's keep up the good work!
  3. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    It does feel like we're banging our heads on the wall alot! I think its very possible we did make a difference. We were talking to Dr. Woodcock, after all - she is a top official at the FDA! However it happened this is Ampligen getting resurrected...there's no way Hemispherx would have been able to fund that big study....(Hemispherx did get its other product, Alferon approved for use in the US - that will come on the market later this year and that will help but they were still very low on cash...)..

Its a great decision! Good for the FDA - quickly becoming my favorite agency in the govt :)
  4. jeffrez

jeffrez Senior Member

NY
    This is really great news, Cort. The more potential treatment options we have the better. It kind of sounds like their safety concerns might have been addressed, so let's hope it goes through. Thx for posting this.
  5. HowToEscape?

HowToEscape? Senior Member

Do we have any idea of what percentage of us it helps, and how much? The history of chronic disease is painted with immoderate hopes applied to scraps of leftover cure.

Not to be the Debbie Downer here ;-)
  6. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member

Australia
    Approving this drug will set a strong precedent. Here is hoping it happens!
  7. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
    Is it all this banging on the head that is causing all my headaches? :)
    I hope this happens. Not a day too soon.
  8. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    That was very poetically said How To Escape :). We're a big group and its only going to help some people; some people do very, very well - have you read Kelvin Lord's blogs on this site?, others do moderately better - and are quite grateful for that level of improvement and some it doesn't work for at all. I don't know the percentages, though....
  9. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    Its not just the treatment end that's important; getting Ampligen approved would put more focus on the immune side of this illness and should prompt studies to learn why it works at all in the people it does work for. Throw Rituximab in the mix and I imagine you'd have a disorder some top immunologists would start to get interested in...Ampligen approval could be catalyst for more treatment options, more interest in immune drugs in ME/CFS and more research...
    Nielk and jeffrez like this.
  10. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Does anyone maintain their improvement once they're off Ampligen?
  11. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK
    Hi. Interesting development, but I thought it wasn't quite so clear cut from the FDA - that they have agreed to put a reanalysis of the original data out for review which will make the decision, not that a further study won't be needed:
  12. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    Right, the main thing is that Hemispherx has the possibility of gaining approval for Ampligen without undertaking an expensive study which they don't have the money for. It doesn't mean that the FDA will not, after they review the data, ask for more studies.... - I imagine the options are a) could approve the application (b) ask for more data (c) reject the application in a way that would make it difficult for Hemispherx to get more money from investors...( the FDA does do this at times; they have not done that with Ampligen).

Hemispherx does have some rodent studies the FDA wants which it stated will not be done by the third quarter...
  13. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    Bob Miller, in a blog that's coming up, told me Dr. Peterson told him that 1/3 of the patients on Ampligen get better, a third maintain their improvements and a third eventually relapse...It can take several years for someone to relapse.
  14. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Is that a third recover fully and stay recovered, a third improve somewhat and maintain the improvement and a third improve at least somewhat and then relapse? Sorry to nitpick, just really interested!
  15. Cort

Raleigh, NC

:)...about a third show further improvement after they get off the drug....I don't know if anyone has recovered fully using it....my guess, based on what Dr. Peterson said, that he doesn't know any patients that are 'fully' recovered...patients now leading normal lives - yes, but apparently with some restrictions...
  16. Cort

Raleigh, NC
  17. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Thanks, Cort - I see what you meant now!
  18. satoshikasumi

satoshikasumi Senior Member

For me, Ampligen helped cognitive function the most, improved physical functioning moderately, and didn't improve pain or sleep.

There are some patients, a minority, who get a nearly complete remission of all their symptoms on Ampligen. I was not one of those ones, but I found the drug to be very useful and worth the cost.
  19. satoshikasumi

satoshikasumi Senior Member

Most people maintain the improvements after stopping Ampligen, but it usually isn't permanent. For example, if you take the drug for a year and respond, you can expect to feel better for another year or two after you stop taking it. Most will eventually relapse if they are off it long enough.
  20. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
    Why do you think that is?

See more popular forum discussions.