1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Nitric oxide and its possible implication in ME/CFS (Part 1 of 2)
Andrew Gladman explores the current and historic hypotheses relating to nitric oxide problems in ME/CFS. Part 1 of a 2-part series puts nitric oxide under the microscope and explores what it is, what it does and why it is so frequently discussed in the world of ME/CFS. Part 1 focuses...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

major leg cramps after epsom salt bath

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by dsdmom, Oct 6, 2013.

1. dsdmom

dsdmom Senior Member

I just took my second ever epsom salt bath. 1 cup for 10 minutes. I was nervous because I wasn't sure how I'd react since I don't do well with msm. I thought I did pretty well after the first one but had minor cramping in my thighs mainly. Took another one today and my legs are really hurting. Thighs and calves. Drank a bunch of water afterward. Is this a detox reaction or is it an indication that I shouldn't do the baths? Any help is appreciated.

2. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque

Have you tried taking some potassium when you take an epsom salts bath? Maybe the magnesium/potassium ratio is being affected?
    Sushi

3. Bob

Bob

South of England
    I'm always very cautious about using any supplements, as I react negatively to almost all supplements.
    Our bodies might not be efficient at getting rid of an excess of substances, which might include magnesium and sulphate, so taking a lot of magnesium or sulphate may have negative consequences.
    If it's causing you cramps, then I suggest not taking it. Anything that upsets the balance of our bodies can cause relapses, in my experience.

4. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senescent on the Illinois prairie, USA

Midwest, USA
    Maybe doing it two days in a row was too much, too fast.

5. SJB944

SJB944 Senior Member

Not quite the same, but I actually got more muscle twitching after I started taking Magnesium. Eventually I worked out I needed more vitamin D -- they work together. s

6. Rand56

Rand56 Senior Member

Myrtle Beach, SC
    Leg cramps can also come from a lack of sodium. Maybe add some baking soda into your Epsom salt bath too to see if that helps.

Rand

See more popular forum discussions.