• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

major leg cramps after epsom salt bath

dsdmom

I just took my second ever epsom salt bath. 1 cup for 10 minutes. I was nervous because I wasn't sure how I'd react since I don't do well with msm. I thought I did pretty well after the first one but had minor cramping in my thighs mainly. Took another one today and my legs are really hurting. Thighs and calves. Drank a bunch of water afterward. Is this a detox reaction or is it an indication that I shouldn't do the baths? Any help is appreciated.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I just took my second ever epsom salt bath. 1 cup for 10 minutes. I was nervous because I wasn't sure how I'd react since I don't do well with msm. I thought I did pretty well after the first one but had minor cramping in my thighs mainly. Took another one today and my legs are really hurting. Thighs and calves. Drank a bunch of water afterward. Is this a detox reaction or is it an indication that I shouldn't do the baths? Any help is appreciated.

Have you tried taking some potassium when you take an epsom salts bath? Maybe the magnesium/potassium ratio is being affected?
Sushi

Bob

I'm always very cautious about using any supplements, as I react negatively to almost all supplements.
Our bodies might not be efficient at getting rid of an excess of substances, which might include magnesium and sulphate, so taking a lot of magnesium or sulphate may have negative consequences.
If it's causing you cramps, then I suggest not taking it. Anything that upsets the balance of our bodies can cause relapses, in my experience.

SJB944

Not quite the same, but I actually got more muscle twitching after I started taking Magnesium. Eventually I worked out I needed more vitamin D -- they work together. s

Rand56

Leg cramps can also come from a lack of sodium. Maybe add some baking soda into your Epsom salt bath too to see if that helps.

Rand