• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Major Crash - Please help me!

Martin aka paused||M.E.

@MartinDH - I'm sorry about your situation. When I crash, I increase my electrolytes and amino acids. If you haven't tried different amino acids and have favorites, just a whey protein is a good way to get lots of them. Some people like D-ribose and creatine. It's also nice to have the liquid shakes since eating can be hard while in a crash. My best wishes to you.

I have taken the AA and electrolytes and this morning I am even weaker... any thoughts on that?
Another possibility might be that my room was too cold this night?

GypsyGirl

I have POTS and this sounds like my POTS flares. My biggest triggers are mold, VOCs/volatile organic compounds, and sudden temperature/humidity changes. When I was living in a moldy rental, I had POTS symptoms constantly. In non-moldy environment, my baseline sounds really close to yours. If I'm exposed to these things (maybe a moldy grocery store, a friend's water damaged home, a shopping center with new flooring, a new building period... a roommate's hairspray, an air freshener, and so on), I immediately have POTS symptoms and they usually linger 2-14 days. Sometimes it's not an exposure - the weather and humidity changes kill me, especially cold to warm weather. It's a beautiful humid day from the 40F to 70F and my body is like NO JOYFUL SPRING INSIDE HERE SUCKAS.

the list @i-lava-u provided is pretty comprehensive list of what I do. When I was first dx-ed with POTS, I was on adderall (for ADD), and decided to taper off it. Discovered that adderall was paradoxically lowering my heart rate (the doc said likely because it's a vasoconstrictor). Eventually I was able to taper off it, but it was very helpful in controlling symptoms at the time, as I couldn't tolerate other typical POTS meds. So now when I'm in POTsie mode - I pay attention to what causes vasoconstriction and dilation. CBD oil (though helpful for some) makes it worse. Caffeine (which I usually limit) sometimes helps.

More electrolytes help but sometimes different types work better for me - I don't know why. Gatorade and Powerade zero are my old faves, but I also use pedialyte, coconut water, chicken broth. I've always done best with the combo of pinch of salt, drink some gatorade, as if taking a shot of tequila. Plain sea salt, I just eat it up, I add it to everything. Anything to keep my water in me - when I'm having POTS symptoms, it's like all I do is drink and pee. (tmi, but fact)

I've been dx-ed with mold illness and have genetic issues excreting volatile organic compounds, so the POTS symptoms stick around once I've been exposed. I do what I can to help my organs get rid of it. Green juices. Dandelion, cilantro, parsley, etc. I've had some luck with Terry's Naturals (turmeric & boswellia) for general inflammation (more than taking either of these alone).

Amino acids have had no effect for me.

I have prescription hardcore thigh high compression hose - those help sometimes. And cheap knee highs (sometimes the pressure of the prescription ones starts to hurt). https://www.amazon.com/Celeste-Stei...srs=8902068011&ie=UTF8&qid=1519230948&sr=8-13

At one point, I bought a dehumidifer because humidity indoors was affecting me as much as temperature - generally colder, and less humid works best for me for POTS.

I eat lightly when I'm having POTS issues... anything requiring a lot of digestion seems to exacerbate POTS. Soups. Smoothies. Lightly cooked veggies and fruit.

A useful question might be "do I feel worse or better in my home, or say, outside?" Could hone on triggers.

I'm sorry you're having a flare. Hope you find something that works soon!