Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

MAIMES: Would you like a Public Enquiry into the lack of care and treatment for people with M.E?

Discussion in 'Action Alerts and Advocacy' started by AndyPR, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Freespirit

Freespirit

If a patient, or group of patients (hate that word!), harmed by get were to sue the 'treatment/care' provider and won, would that be evidence? If so a no win/no fee or pro bono class action would be a good idea. Don't know how strict the criteria or burden of proof wld b

2. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    When I took legal advice I was told that in the UK it would be a "balance of probabilities". There are huge barriers though towards this happening or any sort of legal medical cases as I found when looking at a family members problem. It would have cost around £5000 in fees to even get a lawyer to consider this and that was not uncommon.

One of the big barriers in the UK is trying to find a lawyer to act for a PWME. That's why it isn't happening. There are PWME who have put together what they think is a case but have not been able to find a lawyer to act for them.

The Judicial Review into NICE has put off some lawyers and been a lesson to patients on how badly things can go in court.

There has been one case of a PWME suing either a hospital or a medical consultant but that was settled and a gagging order put in place. Highlighting the risks once again for a PWME to get justice.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    Laelia, Valentijn, boolybooly and 2 others like this.
  3. NelliePledge

NelliePledge plodder

http://www.drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Medical_Abuse_In_ME_Sufferers_(MAIMES)#ACTION

This update shows they have got 5 MPs to sign up to the campaign - MPs adopted by someone who has committed to face to face lobbying shown as well as MPs who have signed up to support the campaign. There is a list further down the page

If more MPs are signed up this seems like a reasonably effective way of getting the message across and should be adopted more widely for campaigning about ME. We want MPs to start raising ME as an issue with NHS/DoH and with party leadership.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    Laelia likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.