• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Magnesium sulfate bad effect?

vision blue

I decided to try to use the lesser known conjugation to sulfate pathway to try get rid of my excess dopamine and tyramine. It seemed to work at first in that I was suddently less overstimulated/less contstant symptatetic nervous system arousal but got a bad side effect- my muscles all started hurting and feeling strange - all over - started i thin in feet or legs, ascended and was just everywhere. they were also stiff; not sure if they were also weak since walking was tricky, but could have been from stiffness. I think in the past i've had a sulfate problem since i remember i decided not to use epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) but to instead use magnesium oil (magensium chloride), which i use with no ill effects (and a little postive benefit). I should add when i say i tried it, I only soaked feet in it; am very senstitive to meds orally. My muscles are now improving- but now can also feel the overstimulation thing returning! Its possible i did indeed succeed in binding some of the dopamine and tyramine but it had widespread consequenes. I"ve never tested my sulfate pathway I don't think, so don't know how well that works. Under the worst scenario, lowering my dopamine and tyramine is bad for me- i.e. perhaps they are doing something important and there's a reason they are so high; if so, attempts to normalize them could make me too sick. that would be awful.

Paralee

This is interesting. I'm pretty sure I have high dopamine....I don't know where to go from there except to tell you I can't take any sulpha (sp?) or methyl donors. Magnesium is out for me also, except a little oil once in a while (just a few drops on skin). I will look in to tyramine and follow this thread. Good luck.

vision blue

Hi paralee- thanks for the input. i just started a thread involving dopamine ("my results on neuro biogenic amines'). its interesting that you can't take take either methyl or sulfa (or sulpha) donors- i quickly pointed out in that biogenic amines thread that i'm an over methylator. But i don't know much about the sulfa pathway, so don't know if these go together.