• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

magnesium SPRAY instead of pills

just wanted to let everyone know that magnesium comes in a spray form. i have wanted to take magnesium supps for years because it is always recommended as a good supp for cfs/me, but the pills gave me gut issues. my mom found this mag spray and got it for me- i think it is called "ancient minerals magnesium spray". it was about $30 or so and has lasted me one year. i "think" it is helping my cfs, but obviously is not some huge life changing treatment for cfs.

here is something interesting about it-- the spray instructions (and web info) say that if one is low in mag, the spray will STING/TINGLE on your skin, -- and i thought yea right. but it did!! very bizarre but not painful. then over the days of using it daily, it would sting less and less. now it doesnt sting at all. i use it everynite before bed (mag is supposed to help one sleep).

so-- i like the product, very glad my mom found it. i had never heard of mag spray before. i plan to continue taking it.

anyone else tried this? and did it sting on your skin too? did it help your cfs?

bigmama2

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Hi bigmama2 (great name!) - I'm using the Mg spray as one supplement in part of Freddd's B12 protocol, which overall is giving me benefit after I started it about five or six weeks ago. The Mg in particular helped when I started getting deficiency symptoms (muscle cramps) in the early stages of the protocol (my understanding is that as your body starts to heal its requirements for a lot of things increases).

Like you, I started using the spray because Mg tablets upset my stomach. I didn't experience any tingling on the skin, though.

I'm getting through my spray quite fast - I use 2 x 10 squirts per day (one lot in the morning, the other in the evening), for a total dose of 360mg/day. If your bottle is lasting a year, maybe you are on a very low dose (or your stuff is more concentrated). I'm not really sure what the optimal dose would be, though - I was guided by getting deficiency symptoms and titrating up over several days until they stopped.

ukxmrv

People are also putting Epsom salts (magnesium suplahte) into cream and then onto their skin.

Patients with ME and CFS are very resourceful and I admire the way that people think around their problems.

I found magnesium injections best of all for me but I am lucky and can also take magnesium by mouth. The injections just seemed to have the best effect for some reason.

Misfit Toy

Mama,

I have been on it since 2008. For awhile, it really helped. For about a year. Then it just stopped. I no longer have that stinging. I am bummed because I was so happy that it helped with my pain and like you, I can't take mag with my tummy. It killed my tummy. I take Ancient Minerals too.

I hope it continues to work for you. My doctor said that after awhile, it may not work because the body uses only what it needs and after awhile, you don't need it as much anymore.

hi everyone- thanks for the replies! hmmm mag in pills, injections, cremes, sprays, and in epsom salt baths. such variety! so i am not the only one into non pill forms of mag! and Spit- too funny that you use the same kind spray i do- and you had the stinging too- interesting. i am sorry that it stopped helping your pain.

take care everyone
bigmama2

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I just read on another thread that someone is using Mg gel - I see it's for sale on UK Amazon. I wonder if it is better absorbed than the oil. I've learned to spray the oil on, rub it in, and then not to put my clothes on straight away or they absorb a lot of the oil. I still feel a bit sticky, though! Perhaps the gel might be better.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I've started a new thread on Mg applied transdermally in general, since I'm not sure about Mg oil as the best method for me - it's here.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I just read on another thread that someone is using Mg gel - I see it's for sale on UK Amazon. I wonder if it is better absorbed than the oil. I've learned to spray the oil on, rub it in, and then not to put my clothes on straight away or they absorb a lot of the oil. I still feel a bit sticky, though! Perhaps the gel might be better.

I emailed the manufacturer about this problem after someone told me that the Mg is absorbed within seconds and you can then just rinse the residue off. Here's the good news (thank you, BetterYou!):

It is true that you can wash Magnesium Oil off after application. However full absorption within a few seconds is a little optimistic. The magnesium is certainly very quickly absorbed but I would wait around 1-2 minutes before washing off for optimum absorption. The speed of absorption will depend upon how open the pores are and if applied onto warm, clean skin (after a shower or bath is ideal) then all the better.

Magnesium is best absorbed in small regular doses and well massaged into the skin (as I'm sure you do). Little but often is best. If it is marking your clothes you may like to try applying fewer sprays but apply them more often, 10 or so minutes apart. You may be concentrating on a particular area which is great but also try other areas of the body such as the feet and upper arms in addition to your normal application area. By spreading the spray around you are still ensuring magnesium uptake but avoiding excessive chloride residue.​