• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

magnesium and malic acid OR magnesium malate

Hi guys,

I'm considering giving magnesium/malic acid a try for my fatigue however am wondering do I have to take them as a magnesium malate supplement or can I take malic acid and magnesium at the same time as individual supplements?

thanks for helping.

Scarecrow

Revolting Peasant
Good question. I use Solgar's Viridian's Ca, Mg and Zn powder.

The Mg is provided as oxide and citrate compounds and they are in a base of malic acid. The sales assistant recommended this form to me but beyond that I can't answer your question. Interested to see what others think.

Last edited:

Tammy

Usually a magnesium malate supplement doesn't have a whole lot of magnesium in it.........and the form of magnesium is usually oxide.............so if you are wanting more magnesium you could take the magnesium malate plus a separate magnesium supplement.............that's what I do. I take magnesium malate and magnesium glycinate. I don't know what would be wrong with taking the malic acid and magnesium as individual supplements though..............just another option.

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
I am currently using a Mg Malate product by NOW.
The ingredients are : Magnesium (from 1000mg Mg Malate). . .150mg

I have been taking this AM and a Mg Bisglycinate PM. I have found that I need to take potassium (at least 3x99mg/dose) otherwise I begin to feel unwell after several days without and then if I still don't take any I get Tachycardia.

I don't have any answers why you would take Malic acid separate either. Although I see a fibrocare website that suggests it.
Anecdotally, from reading here it almost seems as if the more deficient you are in a substance the more sensitive you might be to it.

I wouldn't necessarily start with the high range doses recommended elsewhere.

I use Source Naturals magnesium malate...I have no idea if it's better to take them separate, but taking them together makes it one less supplement that I have to take.