• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

MAF878

naoise

Hi

So I saw Dr.Enlander today and I'm starting on MAF878 - i'll be making it in Agar (will try goats milk yogurt but would prefer to use agar).

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how long after using it should i see improvements and also are there any side effects i should be aware of?

Thanks!

BenFromNZ

Hi @naoise, I was just wondering if you have noticed anything positive from the previous Gcmaf you were taking?

Good luck with the MAF878!

naoise

Hi @BenFromNZ - nope unfortunately didn't see much improvement. i did in the first few weeks but since Sept all that has gone and my old symptoms/crashes etc are all back. sleep is worse then ever these days (It's currently 4am and i'm wide awake with a burning hot face). So I'm hoping that the MAF878 might be helpful but i'm not hopeful.

Are you taking anything?

BenFromNZ

@naoise Yes, I'm currently taking Gcmaf (goleic version by injection) I first took it for a month and felt worse but then I had to stop for a month so I could do some tests. In that month I felt a bit better than I have for sometime - bit better sleep and energy. Now I am back on it (have just finished another month) and feeling a bit worse again now that I'm on it - but not as bad as I was before I started taking it. I'm also able to take a bit higher dose this time. It's very early days yet as to whether I'm going to see any significant improvements.

BenFromNZ

I have enough for a few months - but there are options out there. There is a guy in New Zealand (where I am) who supplies Gcmaf (goleic), Gcmaf(Japanese saisei mirai version) and bravo probiotics yoghurt and also a colostrum-maf (also produced by saisei mirai).
I've heard people saying it's no longer available but I haven't found that to be the case. I got the goleic version even when it seemed like they had been shut down (in an email they told me they were manufacturing somewhere else now - I don't know it that is still the case - that was a couple of months ago)

naoise

Ah ok you're lucky so - I'm in Ireland and was getting my GcMaf from America but that's gone now. It's why Endlander has switched me to take the Probiotic strain of it.

BenFromNZ

@naoise oh, yeah i suppose it would be harder to get in Ireland. I hope your sleep improves soon. I know how rough it can be (I just checked the time in Ireland). I'm usually awake till 6am (much of this year couldnt fall asleep until 9or 10 am).

naoise

@BenFromNZ thanks I know I hope I sleep soon too! I'm so tired but of course my body is having none of it..now I've got insanely restless ankles!
Hope the gcmaf works for you! ☺️

I've only been using it for a month, but I think my stomach likes it. No side effects that I've noticed. I started the Hepapressin shots the same time and I feel a tad better. Hard to say if it is one or the other or the combo.

JayS

What I've always noticed is that about 6 weeks in, my sleep started to improve. For years, I'd hear people talk about how important sleep is, and a good amount of the time, for more than 10 years, and especially during crashes, the only time I felt even remotely human was in the middle of the night. Sure, it's no fun being up all night & sleeping well into the afternoon, but I accepted it for a long time. Tried so many times to correct the sleep cycle, and it's so difficult that I got to a point where I'd rather have a couple of hours feeling better even if it's at 4 or 5 am vs. what living with ME typically feels like 100% of the time.

All of a sudden I was getting to sleep at 10 pm, then 11, then maybe 12, and sleeping for 6, 7, 8 hours straight, for extended periods. Can't put it to anything but the maf878. Made a huge difference. Still does.

Have had to come off it a few times for various reasons. Inevitable crash, then I get back on it, and six weeks in, bang. The sleep kicks in, and it has made living with the disease easier. Because, and it makes sense, but nothing about this disease really does, so even the obvious doesn't always translate--the better sleep, led to an increase in strength and stamina. Not huge--I wish it was. It wasn't like I could seriously view it as improvement strong enough to contemplate a return to work of some kind. But definitely a significant improvement, even if it's difficult to put into words.

It's not GcMaf, some have confused the two. It's a probiotic. Presumably it works along the same lines. But there's been a ton of controversy about GcMaf, and its controversial characters. This is not that.

What it is, considering how important sleep actually is (no matter how much I just didn't want to hear that for such a long time), whatever it is, it works for me & I recommend it. Of course, like anything else, it's bound not to help everyone. But for me no side effects to speak of, and a major change from sleeping 2 or 3 hours here, then being up for 3 hours, then sleeping another 4 hours and waking up feeling the worst I'd probably feel the whole day. Sure, you can take a sleep medication, but in my experience that'll help you get to sleep, sure, but not necessarily correct a sleep cycle in need of repair (plus there you may be risking dependency).

I've been on MAF878 for 2 months and doing amazing.
16 years ill - steady decline. I've spent months not being able to leave the house.
Doing the Wahl's protocol level 3 (plus autoimmune) for 18 months and had been feeling better enough to get out of the house and see Dr. Enlander.
The past 2 weeks I have been cycling 3 days/wk!! I'm afraid to write this out - but I'm not having any symptoms...
Time will tell....
I'm not eating sugar, grains or dairy so culturing with agar.

Recopying this post from another thread
Anyone else having good results from the MAF878?
@denmarkk @BenFromNZ @naoise @JayS @knackers323

naoise

I never started it.

Before i started it i decided to get tested for lyme and i've since found I have active chronic lyme.

ukxmrv

I had no real response to the MAF878 and gave up in the end. MAF314 was a great help to me but I plateaued and the effects wore off when I stopped taking it.

Hope your good effects continue Kafka!