• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

MAF 878 Mold growth

I started "brewing" the mixture 3 days ago and it has developed a dark mold growth around the side of the jar at the top. Has anyone else had this and is it still safe to take? I kept all utensils scrupulously clean but if this is happening already I hate to think what it will get like in 4 weeks

Simon

ukxmrv

Oh no, Simon, that doesn't sound good. Mine is just about "cooked" but no sign of mould. It is a lot more kefirish than I has expected and I wonder if my kefir was a really strong one. Has expected the MAF878 to come out as the yoghurtish MAF314 I tried but this is more thick and lumpy (and I am mixing it once a day).
Maybe email Joy at Dr Enlander's and ask about the mould.

alice

I started "brewing" the mixture 3 days ago and it has developed a dark mold growth around the side of the jar at the top. Has anyone else had this and is it still safe to take? I kept all utensils scrupulously clean but if this is happening already I hate to think what it will get like in 4 weeks

Simon

Simon,
Wondering if you have kept it covered - mold is in the air and could have settled on the mixture. Did the mold reappear after you stirred it?.

Had any of the starter leaked out of the jar when you received it. In that case mold may have entered in where the leakage was. I agree with ukmxrv that before eating any of it to email Dr. Enlander - maybe the problem is at their end.

In a post on another thread someone mentioned that Enlander's office had said not to use the starter if there was leakage from the jar when they received it, but I don't know if Enlander would replace it.

Alice

baccarat

Try leaving some of the yoghurt, kefir and cream separately for a few days. If any of those develops mold than it's most likely from the environment. If not than it was probably a contaminated batch.
You may also leave a strawberry as control. In a mold-free environment it should just dry out, if it gets moldy it's because mold is present in the house.

Thanx for the replies.
I keep the mixture in a jar with a tight lid also we have an air purifying system designed to extract mold and it is not realy mold season as it is sunny and hot, perhaps I was just unlucky and a few spores sneaked in and started growing. Having removed the mold, there does not appear to be any new growth yet so it is very stange.
Will try the stawberry test though.
I am loathe to throw it out due to the expense but also I dont want to get sick. If there is no re-growth I think I will give it a try.

Simon

That's what I would do too. Did your starter arrive without leaks? Your brewing temperature is correct?

The starter was sealed, so it should be OK. The brewing temp. may be a little cool @ 74F but the previous advice from Enlander was room temp. so I dont think it should be too different from the current 80F, except it may require a longer time to mature.
Will post results of my trial in due course.

ukxmrv

Thanks Simon and good luck, my own brew was ready to be drunk on yesterday so I've started a diary to record what the effects will be.

It tastes different to the MAF314 I had being more like kefir. It's thicker and more yeasty than the MAF314. Only thing I noticed was indigestion and nausea so far. That cleared over night thankfully.

I was reading on making sauerkraut, it's a bit like yogurt making. The instructions I read said grey mold will be on top, and just scoop as much of that off, and toss it, and eat the rest. I thought you would like to know.

Rrrr

I was reading on making sauerkraut, it's a bit like yogurt making. The instructions I read said grey mold will be on top, and just scoop as much of that off, and toss it, and eat the rest. I thought you would like to know.

my MAF878 smells moldy, fermenty, and if i did not stir it daily, i think mold would grow on it. i'm still taking it!